cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm getting my wife into cycling...

She has done some mountain biking in the past and a little bit on a road bike but hasn't done it for a while and has showed some interest in riding with me.. of course I'm jumping on it. She doesn't like to camp much at all, doesn't like game days because she says it's too long with tailgating (she's a ute), so of course I'm going to encourage this. We went and looked at bikes for her and got her fitted and things... she measures at 38 cm! ha ha. We didn't seem to find too many bikes in her size of course but we found one she really likes and for a pretty good deal. It's a Novara Carema Pro... It has 105 everything except for the front and rear brakes which are Tiagra. It was an aluminum frame ... well here, you can take a look at it if you want..

http://www.rei.com/product/744766

What she is most excited about are the flowers on the bike. ha ha! Whatever will get her into it. Any suggestions on pedals for her? Also, what are some challenges any of you have had in getting your wives started out? My wife is 5 feet tall and a little over 100 pounds, but she's a pretty tough girl so I can push her a little. Heck, she may just destroy me..
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

Last edited by bYuPride; 05-06-2007 at 09:30 PM.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
She has done some mountain biking in the past and a little bit on a road bike but hasn't done it for a while and has showed some interest in riding with me.. of course I'm jumping on it. She doesn't like to camp much at all, doesn't like game days because she says it's too long with tailgating (she's a ute), so of course I'm going to encourage this. We went and looked at bikes for her and got her fitted and things... she measures at 38 cm! ha ha. We didn't seem to find too many bikes in her size of course but we found one she really likes and for a pretty good deal. It's a Novara Carema Pro... It has 105 everything except for the front and rear brakes which are Tiagra. It was an aluminum frame ... well here, you can take a look at it if you want..

http://www.rei.com/product/744766

What she is most excited about are the flowers on the bike. ha ha! Whatever will get her into it. Any suggestions on pedals for her? Also, what are some challenges any of you have had in getting your wives started out? My wife is 5 feet tall and a little over 100 pounds, but she's a pretty tough girl so I can push her a little. Heck, she may just destroy me..
Consider a tandem. It has been great for my wife and I, who have very different riding styles. Let me know if you ahve any interest and I iwll be happy to give you more info than you would proabbly care to ahve.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

My wife likes her Look Keo Classic pedals. Not too expensive as road pedals go, but still fairly light and reliable. They also have a reasonable amount of float. Wife is 5'1" and rides a Cannondale, with Campy components. (She would never ride a bike with flowers on it, though.)
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker310 View Post
My wife likes her Look Keo Classic pedals. Not too expensive as road pedals go, but still fairly light and reliable. They also have a reasonable amount of float. Wife is 5'1" and rides a Cannondale, with Campy components. (She would never ride a bike with flowers on it, though.)
Thanks for the idea on pedals.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Consider a tandem. It has been great for my wife and I, who have very different riding styles. Let me know if you ahve any interest and I iwll be happy to give you more info than you would proabbly care to ahve.
A tandem? At this point, I'm about 97.4% sure that's not the direction she would like to go, but maybe down the road that would sound fun to her... What do I need to know about them? Tandem 101?

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 05-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Big mistake pride. Unless you like riding slow and having to hire a babysitter everytime you want to go do a 3 hour ride.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Big mistake pride. Unless you like riding slow and having to hire a babysitter everytime you want to go do a 3 hour ride.
Ha ha! I bet she goes maybe once or twice a week with me maybe. Her parents basically live down the street from us and they are always begging to be with the kid so it should work out fine. Riding slow is fine every once in a while I guess... I'm just glad this is something we'll both be able to do together.

"I'm on my beater bike"