cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Someone got into my garage last night..

Whoever it was stole my bicycle and vandalized my wife's van by spray painting several obscenities all over it. The spray paint was from a few cans that we had in the garage. Nothing else that I'm aware of was stolen.

I blame myself for access to the garage, as I may have forgotten to lock the door to get in from the backyard.

I can deal with the bike being stolen, but it really ticks me off that the thief decided to vandalize the van.

My initial suspicion is that it is the teenage brothers who live behind us. I once caught them shooting paint balls at the back of my house before and they didn't like that I hopped the fence and took them to their parents by the collars of their jackets to talk about it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not normally a violent man, but the theft of my bikes would rise to the level of justifying almost any level of retribution.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I am not normally a violent man, but the theft of my bikes would rise to the level of justifying almost any level of retribution.
Don't get me wrong - I am ticked about the bike being stolen, but I can deal with it. I just don't like that the van was vandalized. My wife doesn't need the headache of her transportation being out of commission until we can get it repainted.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Don't get me wrong - I am ticked about the bike being stolen, but I can deal with it. I just don't like that the van was vandalized. My wife doesn't need the headache of her transportation being out of commission until we can get it repainted.
I agree defacing a vehicle is horrible as well.

Losing a bike would mess me up to no end. Fortunately I have another. Losing both, and somebody might have to institutionalize me or conceal the perpetrator in Iran.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Understood.

I'm not as attached to my bike as you are to yours, but if someone were to take even one baseball from my Brooks Robinson shrine, I would go ballistic.

I can always replace my bike - maybe upgrade it now that I have a reason to do so. I've gotten to know the owner of the little bike shop close to my house rather well and he's always told me that he'll give me a good deal on the previous year's models.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Understood.

I'm not as attached to my bike as you are to yours, but if someone were to take even one baseball from my Brooks Robinson shrine, I would go ballistic.

I can always replace my bike - maybe upgrade it now that I have a reason to do so. I've gotten to know the owner of the little bike shop close to my house rather well and he's always told me that he'll give me a good deal on the previous year's models.
The attachment is not the bike itself per se, but being able to bike. Ordering the types of bikes I ride takes time. I have not gone more than seven days without riding since I started. If I could not ride for weeks or months, I believe I might start drinking heavily or go out with strippers.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The attachment is not the bike itself per se, but being able to bike. Ordering the types of bikes I ride takes time. I have not gone more than seven days without riding since I started. If I could not ride for weeks or months, I believe I might start drinking heavily or go out with strippers.
Understood. It's not the bike, it's what you do with the bike.

I need to ride to get exercise. My knees can't take running.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Go over to the neighbors house and tell the boys that you have witnesses who saw them go into the garage. Tell them if they admit to it then you'll leave the cops out of it. You might get lucky enough to have them confess.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about this, Il Pad.
That's just not cool.

Hopefully your shopowner friend will set you up with a great bike at a good price.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:39 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Go over to the neighbors house and tell the boys that you have witnesses who saw them go into the garage. Tell them if they admit to it then you'll leave the cops out of it. You might get lucky enough to have them confess.
I gave this a try, but they were pretty adamant about their innocence until my brother-in-law - who is a Sheriff's deputy - showed up to help put a bit of pressure on the kids in front of their parents. They then rolled on one of their friends who was the guilty party.

Apparently, last week, my wife had gone out in the backyard and yelled at them for throwing snowballs at our 8 year old and his friends and they weren't pleased about it. Their friend who was the one who actually threw the snowballs decided that he was going to get even. So he got into the garage and vandalized the van and decided to take the bike because the opportunity was there.

Long story short - the kid was arrested for vandalism and will most likely end up with comunity service, but he took the bike somewhere and dumped it. When we went to see if we could retrieve it, it was gone. His parents have decided to pay for the van to be painted and will replace my bike. Because of their generous offer, I'l get the same model I had before.