cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default My claim to cycling fame...

Seventeen years ago my brother and I came up with the idea for the bike bra. After working on the prototype for a couple of months we took our little invention to Interbike in Anaheim and Atlantic City. We had a small booth and the highlight was having Bernard Hinault come by our booth and shake our hands. We ended up selling the rights to Yakima and they sold them to Performance but every time I see one on a bike on top of a car it gives me a little bit of happiness.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
. . . but every time I see one on a bike on top of a car it gives me a little bit of happiness.
Was it a license or some other arrangement so that in addition to the happiness it also puts some coin in your pocket? Meeting Hinault would be nice, but not as nice as a license fee.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
RC Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Was it a license or some other arrangement so that in addition to the happiness it also puts some coin in your pocket? Meeting Hinault would be nice, but not as nice as a license fee.
We get a little bit every year from Performance. Colorado Cyclist has one also but they just stole the idea and we get nothing from them.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Seventeen years ago my brother and I came up with the idea for the bike bra. After working on the prototype for a couple of months we took our little invention to Interbike in Anaheim and Atlantic City. We had a small booth and the highlight was having Bernard Hinault come by our booth and shake our hands. We ended up selling the rights to Yakima and they sold them to Performance but every time I see one on a bike on top of a car it gives me a little bit of happiness.
Oh, forgive my stupidity, but I thought you were referring to athletic bra or sports bra. And I thought to myself, yeah, every time I see one, it brings a little bit of happiness to me. Apologies for bringing this to the gutter. I was thinking, man, you came up with the sports bra, what a dude!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Oh, forgive my stupidity, but I thought you were referring to athletic bra or sports bra. And I thought to myself, yeah, every time I see one, it brings a little bit of happiness to me. Apologies for bringing this to the gutter. I was thinking, man, you came up with the sports bra, what a dude!
Didn't you wonder why the heck people were putting them on BIKES on top of CARS?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Do you have a link to the Performance web site? I'm picturing those wind guards used when bikes are on top of the car to keep bugs off the frame and components. Am I way off?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
RC Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I wish that was my claim to fame. I wouldn't have waited so long to brag about it.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
RC Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Do you have a link to the Performance web site? I'm picturing those wind guards used when bikes are on top of the car to keep bugs off the frame and components. Am I way off?
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4414

This is it.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
creekster

Quote:
3 miles a gallon lower mileage? Yikes. Of course, I put mine in the back of a pickup (with a shell) so I guess I can't complain about mileage, eh?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool. Looking back was it worth selling to Yakima or do you wish you'd done something on your own?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote