cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Excellent article by John Bolton about Russia/Georgia

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-the-West.html

He calls out the Bush admin as essentially incompetent and spineless.

He also calls out Obama for his initial weak reaction.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He also calls out Obama for his initial weak reaction.
Obama's been really foolish on this. McCain's overly-aggressive hard-line saber-rattling talk would have been the perfect opportunity for Obama to play on the voters' dissatisfaction with the current war and suggest that perhaps we don't want another engagement-minded administration running our foreign policy. But instead - in true GW-at-the-Crawford-Ranch style - Obama barely looks up from his sunny perch in Hawaii to even make much of a comment on the matter.

BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

also, Obama likes to brag about his sense of judgment and his ability to make the tough decisions when it counts, but everybody knows grape sno-cones are best.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Obama's been really foolish on this. McCain's overly-aggressive hard-line saber-rattling talk would have been the perfect opportunity for Obama to play on the voters' dissatisfaction with the current war and suggest that perhaps we don't want another engagement-minded administration running our foreign policy. But instead - in true GW-at-the-Crawford-Ranch style - Obama barely looks up from his sunny perch in Hawaii to even make much of a comment on the matter.

This photo makes me want to vote for Obama.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

you really think the Neville Chamberlain approach would have been the best thing, as our ally gets butt-raped, giving Russia a free pass on going after other allies?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you really think the Neville Chamberlain approach would have been the best thing, as our ally gets butt-raped, giving Russia a free pass on going after other allies?
Are you asking me? No, but I think we have to be careful with our threats and make sure that we're actually willing and able to follow through when we're going to make strong statements on the matter. We've got McCain dropping pretty strong hints that there will be hell to pay if Russia doesn't back off. Well, it's no international secret that our energy, finances, and military are stretched to their limits. We need to know how we're going to react if our demands aren't met before we go trying to take down the bully down the block.

I'm overly caffeinated right now so I'm not very coherent; I hope that makes sense.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
This photo makes me want to vote for Obama.
I don't know, but I think that girl on the right has had one too many sno-cones.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I'm overly caffeinated right now so I'm not very coherent; I hope that makes sense.
Friendly tip. Watch the coffee breath. (Unlike mytholgoy purveyed here, it is treatable.)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Friendly tip. Watch the coffee breath. (Unlike mytholgoy purveyed here, it is treatable.)
Thanks Seattle, but I don't drink coffee. White tea.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:32 AM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
also, Obama likes to brag about his sense of judgment and his ability to make the tough decisions when it counts, but everybody knows grape sno-cones are best.
Grape? What happened to you?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote