cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Reducing Stress

In the spirit of DHU's questions on heart rate, I have been thinking about stress quite a bit lately (my blood pressure is a bit high). We are always advised that we will be healthier, happier, and live longer if we reduce stress in our lives. Well, that's great; but how do we go about doing that? It's not as if stress is like alcohol or high-fat foods or some other vice that we can simply choose to avoid. How do you magically eliminate stress?

Perhaps you could quit your high-stress job and start working in a simple menial-labor environment (like the guy in American Beauty - what a great film). Sounds swell, but then you have new financial problems which most likely lead to more stress.

Start saying "no" to church callings? Not a bad idea. Might get you some guilt stress, though.

Relationship stress? Not an issue for me currently. But once again: easier said than done. You can't just flip a switch.

How about it, folks? Any thoughts/ideas?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

There are several things you can do.

Most of them are touchy feely things or things from Eastern Philosophy. Some people get really into self dialog or some form of progressive relaxation. It's all out there.

For me personally... It's all about taking breaks at the right time.

For example... Let's say I'm behind at work. I've got a 1 hour lunch. I can:
a- Work thru lunch at my desk
b- Go to lunch
c- A combination of the two.

I do option C. I take 30 minutes to get out of the office, take a walk sit in my car, listen to my ipod, whatever... Then I take that other 30 minutes and go back to work.

I find that I can get more done in the 30 minutes after a break than I can if I spend the whole hour sitting at my desk.

Everybody has little rituals. All you need to do is find one that works for you.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
In the spirit of DHU's questions on heart rate, I have been thinking about stress quite a bit lately (my blood pressure is a bit high). We are always advised that we will be healthier, happier, and live longer if we reduce stress in our lives. Well, that's great; but how do we go about doing that? It's not as if stress is like alcohol or high-fat foods or some other vice that we can simply choose to avoid. How do you magically eliminate stress?

Perhaps you could quit your high-stress job and start working in a simple menial-labor environment (like the guy in American Beauty - what a great film). Sounds swell, but then you have new financial problems which most likely lead to more stress.

Start saying "no" to church callings? Not a bad idea. Might get you some guilt stress, though.

Relationship stress? Not an issue for me currently. But once again: easier said than done. You can't just flip a switch.

How about it, folks? Any thoughts/ideas?
Sex . . . or so I hear.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

For me personally, exercise is a huge part of stress relief. There are very few times throughout the day that I don't think about some form of work-related stress, but exercise is one of them. Starting the day off with a couple of hours on the bike does wonders for my mental health.

I used to often work straight through lunch, but found that I was never able to unwind at all for those 9 or 10 hours through the day. Now I make it a point to spend at least 30 minutes of every lunch hour chilling out, trying to not think at all about work.

Spending time playing with the kids after work also does wonders for me.

With regards to church callings, a mutual friend of SteelBlue and mine says he never turns down a calling. Theres too much guilt associated with that. He just does a half-fast job at whatever he gets called to and finds himself released from his assignment shortly thereafter. Not something I recommend, but it worked for him.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug
Sex . . . or so I hear.
Hmmmm.... Maybe I should give that a shot.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
Hmmmm.... Maybe I should give that a shot.
Probably shouldn't while you're at work... And when you do... I suggest a partner...
Old 06-21-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
For me personally, exercise is a huge part of stress relief. There are very few times throughout the day that I don't think about some form of work-related stress, but exercise is one of them. Starting the day off with a couple of hours on the bike does wonders for my mental health.
I work out every day. Yes, it helps. I especially enjoy racquetball.

Quote:
I used to often work straight through lunch, but found that I was never able to unwind at all for those 9 or 10 hours through the day. Now I make it a point to spend at least 30 minutes of every lunch hour chilling out, trying to not think at all about work.

Spending time playing with the kids after work also does wonders for me.
That's all good.

Quote:
With regards to church callings, a mutual friend of SteelBlue and mine says he never turns down a calling. Theres too much guilt associated with that. He just does a half-fast job at whatever he gets called to and finds himself released from his assignment shortly thereafter. Not something I recommend, but it worked for him.
That's interesting. Saying "no" causes guilt, but doing such a poor job that he is soon released causes no guilt? Sounds like lots of folks in my ward, actually.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:20 AM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

BYU football....errr.......nevermind.

Actually, I'd love to know what kind of things, techniques, and other kinds of things people do to help alleviate stress.

For me, I almost always have to leave the office for lunch. I buy a newspaper in the morning on my way to work and I read it during my lunch hour while I'm eating. It seems to be my brief respite from the day.

I don't have high blood pressure, but I do suffer from chronic migraines. I get 4-5 a month, sometimes less or more. I just started taking a medication called Verapamil that is starting to be prescribed for migraine/headache sufferers like me and see if it helps the blood flow. It tends to be a family medical problem as all 7 of my siblings, save 1 suffer from them as well. 2 of my siblings started taking Verapamil and it's had pretty positive results, but not for me thus far.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:30 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Exercise, service to humanity, children, sex, sex, and did I say sex, plus
worship, healthy eating habits, reading for fun.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:36 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Exercise, service to humanity, children, sex, sex, and did I say sex, plus
worship, healthy eating habits, reading for fun.
Exercise? Check
Service to humanity? Check
Children? Check
Sex, sex, and more sex? Hmmmm.... 1 out of 3?
Worship? Check
Healthy eating habits? Mostly
Reading for fun? Some. But more free time would be nice

I think work and church callings are eating me up.