cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 03:23 AM   #1
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I propose

that general conference adopts the practice used by awards shows of starting to play the music when the award recipient blabs on too long. Imagine how sweet it would be if the organist starts playing the closing song 1-minute after the closing prayer starts -- whether the speaker is done or not. I think that people giving prayers would catch on really quickly when the music is cued and people start getting up and leaving.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:44 AM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

conference could use some jazzing up. I would also like some piped in crowd music, people dressed in Nephite garb, wrestling matches with the anti's, and possibly a laugh track. Oh and a lottery. These are just a few of my suggestions. Give the people bread and a circus.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of contest winners should be able to sit in special Lazy Boy recliners, or perhaps a hot tub.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:15 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

at summer camp last year one of the kids from the other troop was asked to bless the cobbler late at night. He gave what must have been a 10 minute prayer, but it seemed longer.

There seems to be no good way to interrupt a prayer in our culture.

The kid who gave the prayer is a little bit socially awkward. Good kid, smart, but awkward.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:22 AM   #5
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
at summer camp last year one of the kids from the other troop was asked to bless the cobbler late at night. He gave what must have been a 10 minute prayer, but it seemed longer.

There seems to be no good way to interrupt a prayer in our culture.

The kid who gave the prayer is a little bit socially awkward. Good kid, smart, but awkward.
Just me, but I would first question the wisdom of blessing cobbler.
In such a case some throat clearing, ahem, from an adult might bring the extended soliloquy to a close.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:23 AM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
A couple of contest winners should be able to sit in special Lazy Boy recliners, or perhaps a hot tub.
I like the hot tub. Of course it should have oxen all around it.

I would love to see the new 70's etc. introduced by a magician or ride in on a zipline. Or to have President Hinckley carried in on a throne by some stripling warriors. Lastly (for now) I am thinking preconference introductions along the lines of the NBA all-star game. Complete with light show and spotlight.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:21 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I would love to see the new 70's etc. introduced by a magician or ride in on a zipline. Or to have President Hinckley carried in on a throne by some stripling warriors. Lastly (for now) I am thinking preconference introductions along the lines of the NBA all-star game. Complete with light show and spotlight.
I would be fine with just letting the Prophet wear a uniform similar to Brother Joseph's as Lt. General of the Nauvoo Legion. They can choose whether they want to ride in on a white horse or not.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:18 AM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
and possibly a laugh track.
A laugh track is completely unnecessary. People laugh so hard at anything that even approximates a joke that a laugh track would just be over the top.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 AM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
A laugh track is completely unnecessary. People laugh so hard at anything that even approximates a joke that a laugh track would just be over the top.
True. Bunch of brown nosers. How about a whoopee cushion instead? That would make for some good times.

Or we could go all religious and have speaking in tongues and physical outpourings of the spirit of the type seen in the scene at the church in Borat.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

What about a little play-at-home game with prizes? There could be code words or phrases that people at home could be listening for in the talks. When they hear the code word the first 10 people to send in a text message could win a $100 gift certificate to Beehive clothing, a new triple combination or a 1-year supply of wheat.