cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time Magazine: Neutral Teaching of Bible Literacy should be implemented in schools?

An interesting argument with which I am in agreement.

How can one be considered educated if one is ignorant of the Bible and its teachings? I would further argue we should become familiar with Jewish Talmudic teachings and even the Qu'ran. It should be done in a secular manner, but it should be done.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

How can one be considered educated if one is ignorant of the Bible and its teachings? I would further argue we should become familiar with Jewish Talmudic teachings and even the Qu'ran. It should be done in a secular manner, but it should be done.
Agree.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Ideally these works (OT, NT, Koran, Vedas, etc) would be introduced in the appropriate sections of western and non-western world history courses. In my experience they are not.

I see no reason why an in-depth course should not be offered. I think it would be too easy, though, for American schools to offer Bible-as-literature courses without addressing other sacred texts. I also think it is difficult for all but the best teachers to address the texts "neutral[ly]."

I believe this is the article to which Archaea refers:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...601845,00.html
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:49 AM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Ideally these works (OT, NT, Koran, Vedas, etc) would be introduced in the appropriate sections of western and non-western world history courses. In my experience they are not.

I see no reason why an in-depth course should not be offered. I think it would be too easy, though, for American schools to offer Bible-as-literature courses without addressing other sacred texts. I also think it is difficult for all but the best teachers to address the texts "neutral[ly]."

I believe this is the article to which Archaea refers:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...601845,00.html
I would demand it be done neutrally, in a sense as to the veracity of its claims. Now whether somebody particularly liked a piece or not, they opine on literature all the time.

And to show it is done secularly, one could use the most recent academic version, New Revised Standard Version, and maybe compare it with the literary counterpart. Textual criticism could be a higher counterpart, as that endeavor is scholarly without a necessity to decide the divinity of the Bible.

I wish we also studied Plato and Aristotle more. I'm having fun reviewing these for my sons and wish his teachers would introduce more of the great foundations of our culture.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
I wish we also studied Plato and Aristotle more. I'm having fun reviewing these for my sons and wish his teachers would introduce more of the great foundations of our culture.
So you believe the OT and NT should be studied as elements of western civ (a notion with which I do not disagree) ... Do you feel other (i.e., non-western) sacred texts should be introduced?

I agree with your comment on our failure to instruct kids in the ancient origins of western culture. I have been pleased to see a rebirth of classical instruction in private schools, and hope the trend may eventually rub off on public schools as well.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:18 AM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

There was a similar article in Newsweek last week.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:28 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
So you believe the OT and NT should be studied as elements of western civ (a notion with which I do not disagree) ... Do you feel other (i.e., non-western) sacred texts should be introduced?

I agree with your comment on our failure to instruct kids in the ancient origins of western culture. I have been pleased to see a rebirth of classical instruction in private schools, and hope the trend may eventually rub off on public schools as well.
Absolutely. I would shy away from no knowledge. Eventually, knowledge frees one for more options. Seek knowledge, apply it wisely and love truth.

I would look to great cultures where knowledge has been refined. Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Persian, Greek, Roman, British, German, French, Italian and so forth.

Knowledge is knowledge regardless of source.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:32 AM   #8
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Knowledge is knowledge regardless of source.
Indeed. I believe in the U.S. (or at least in the part I live in), it would be too easy to teach only Judeo-Christian history/literature. For example, it doesn't sound as though this school district has any intention of teaching other texts:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17540958/
Old 03-26-2007, 04:45 AM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

While I am all for education from religious texts I think it would be almost impossible to do in a public school setting unless it were in specialized classes. Even then it drips with controversy.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
While I am all for education from religious texts I think it would be almost impossible to do in a public school setting unless it were in specialized classes. Even then it drips with controversy.
Who would think it was controversial, other than those who wouldn't want the Bible studied as a subject?

(Yes, that's my little dig at the left. )

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 03-26-2007 at 08:30 AM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote