cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default What instruments have learned or would like to?

On the topic of the best guitarists and other musicians out there I'm curious what instruments you've learned.

My parents had a rule growing up that when you turned 8 you had to take up an instrument. Being as they had 8 kids, it didn't stick with everyone and if it seemed the kid didn't have the aptitude for it then they found something else for them to do besides music.

I chose piano and loved it. I played til I was 16 years old and got really good, but like an idiot let other aspects of life get in the way like basketball, basketball and more basketball. It got to the point where I was having to practice 3 hours a day and I just couldn't take it anymore and it was no longer fun...it was work. I regret that decision to quit.

Out in the missionfield I quickly picked it up again and found my groove (unlike Stella's groove) back in no time and found lots of joy in it. It was especially fun to jam on P-days with the other elders who could play other instruments.

After the mission it died down again, but I still jammed and played whenever I got the opportunity. Many years now and I still love to play, but just don't like to make it known...ESPECIALLY in church circles cause then you get hit up for everything and it gets annoying quickly.

In the 8th grade I played the electric bass in the school band...that was quite the adventure. The amplifier broke and the school wouldn't fork over the $$$ for a new one...so I had to play the Bass Fiddle in its place. Here's this very skinny kid trying to hold up this huge instrument that felt like was going to crush him at any moment.

I've finally got my guitar and am going to teach myself how to play. I've always wanted to and now the time is right. I will also be teaching myself how to play the harmonica. For those that know how to play these instruments are there any specific styles or books you would recommend I learn first? When it comes to music and the study of it's different styles and genres I've always been a fast study.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 03-27-2007 at 10:40 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:33 AM   #2
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Piano - from 6 years old until 17 years old. But I'm not much of a "jammer" on the piano - I'm more of a classically trained monkey. I'm an excellent sight reader but I don't do well playing by ear. I don't have a lot of inherent musical ability so I consider myself a really well-trained monkey.

Organ - Studied organ for a couple of years at BYU until I got some sense and realized that a music major is one of the worst there is - tons of practice time for no credit hours and no good way to make a living after you graduate. Boy am I glad I never pursued music as a career.

Trombone - played from 4th grade to 8th grade. Probably couldn't play a note these days.

Violin - played from 8 years old to 9 years old. Definitely couldn't play a note these days.

Harmonica - Dorked around as a slacker in high school and got several harmonicas in different keys. Got a couple of books about playing harmonica and practiced a while but in the end I felt stupid blowing on a harmonica and didn't go anywhere with it. Playing harmonica just reminded me too much of the monotonous Doors songs that I hate.

Guitar - Have a guitar. Never play it. Took guitar lessons in college which was fun but never did anything serious with it.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I play the viola and a little violin.

But I always wished I had learned the piano. I took one semester in college and think I made it up to Ode to Joy.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:06 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I play the piano (kind of) and in the last year or so have taught myself to play the bass guitar.

Barbara - I think I mentioned this, but my 14 year old daughter plays the viola and is very talented. Her music teacher says that if she keeps it up, she could land a scholarship. Because I'm a cheapskate by nature, I won't allow her to quit until after she finishes college.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 AM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I play the piano (kind of) and in the last year or so have taught myself to play the bass guitar.

Barbara - I think I mentioned this, but my 14 year old daughter plays the viola and is very talented. Her music teacher says that if she keeps it up, she could land a scholarship. Because I'm a cheapskate by nature, I won't allow her to quit until after she finishes college.
I remembered somebody saying that. It was right after I got here, I think, and I didn't know who was what yet. Just make sure she can read treble clef and don't scrimp on the private instruction. It'll go a long way toward getting her a scholarship.

Also, watch her back...a lot of female violists screw up their backs once they get to the 16-17" viola. Exercising the traps and delts is a good idea. And I know you'll want to take me seriously, because PT is expensive, and you're a self-proclaimed cheapskate.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:34 AM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I was the youngest of six. When my time came for lessons, my mother asked "Do you want to take piano lessons?" I replied "Nope". End of discussion. I still resent that she didn't try a little harder.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:48 AM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I played the sousaphone and tuba in Jr. High. Then I realized that playing in the band meant you were a nerd. Sports became more important to me.

I taught myself guitar and I play the ukulele. I am not very good on either. But I mess around enough and know enough of some of the staple songs people learn on guitar to make others think I am better than I am.

I want to teach myself piano. I can read music and bang out any song with my right hand. It's the left and putting them together that doesn't always work out.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #8
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got a guitar for christmas and i know some stuff but would love to get better. So like Rocky said any book reccomendations?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:51 AM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

A little bit of: guitar, piano/keys, uke, mandolin, bass (fretted only), sax, trombone. I have a few harmonicas but have never really gotten the technique down. Not sure I could play the trombone anymore, but I can still scare small children and animals with the sax.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Violin; I played bluegrass for the most part. I pick it up and mess around every once in a while but really I've not practiced in a long time.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote