cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My grades for the Utes...

Offense: C-

No turnovers is what kept the offense from getting a D. The offense was flat almost the entire 1st half save the last drive and the 2nd half wasn't much better. The play calling was conservative, but it sure looked to me like the execution was poor. Wyoming has a decent defense and that is part of it, but the offense just looked like it was content to let the defense and special teams win this game.

Defense: A-

All the players on the first team really stepped it up. Smith's 2 picks were great and I have to say that his 2nd was far more impressive. Great hands on his part. The phrase "Newman is a stud" is becoming more and more common. The DL did a good job in the A and B gaps. Perhaps it's just me, but Misi and Krueger just didn't seem to have their usual game. The LBs were solid, but the secondary was terrific.

Special Teams: B

Key with the block and TD was the highlight, IMO. The TD by Rice on the botched punt catch was more of him being in the right place at the right time, so I'll give Key the nod for the better play. Vroman was again a stud on kickoffs and both the punt and kickoff teams covered really well. Louie was his usual accurate self, but because he and Godfrey uncharacteristically dropped snaps - despite the wind conditions (and Louie showed he was human by dropping a great snap) - I decided to give them a B just because I can.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

The offensive gameplan was VERY conservative...and it got worse once the wind picked up. It was another one of those games where, the Utes jumped out to the lead and when the offense was on the field, it's job was to not turn the ball over or do anything stupid.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:54 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
The offensive gameplan was VERY conservative...and it got worse once the wind picked up. It was another one of those games where, the Utes jumped out to the lead and when the offense was on the field, it's job was to not turn the ball over or do anything stupid.
I agree. This was a game in which the offense really wasn't needed. I'm ok with how it played out, because there were no turnovers by the Utes.

The only thing that bothered me was that Utah sucked so much on 3rd down conversions, especially in the first half. I think they went 3 and out with the first two possessions and it never really did get any better.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #4
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

My grades

Defense: A
Special teams: A-
Offense: D-
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I agree. This was a game in which the offense really wasn't needed. I'm ok with how it played out, because there were no turnovers by the Utes.

The only thing that bothered me was that Utah sucked so much on 3rd down conversions, especially in the first half. I think they went 3 and out with the first two possessions and it never really did get any better.
The highly negative Ute beat writer may have had a point when she said that fans need to stop waiting for this offense to operate like a well-oiled machine. This is just how the utes are going to win...grind it out, do just enough, play to the level of the competition. Hopefully, it won't bite them in the rear.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #6
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Was this the plan? With the weather maybe they thought this was the best way to proceed. Ala urban's 3-0 game at byu. It's hard to tell on the tv exactly what the field conditions are like, but that wind looked brutal. maybe a 0 pick game was the plan.
whatever gets a w.