cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Frank McCourt

Just bought a copy of Teacher Man by Frank McCourt. I thoroughly enjoyed Angela's Ashes a few years back and Teacher Man is getting rave reviews so far. I have not read Tis (the middle book of the trilogy), but I hear it was just OK. Anyone red Tis? Is it worth the effort or should I skip directly to Teacher Man?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the plot of Angela's Ashes? Who dies?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

It is basically a memoir of McCourt's childhood in Ireland living in horrific poverty with an alcoholic father. In the end he immigrates to the U.S. (where he has lived since that time). The beauty of the book is not so much in the plot as in the story-telling. McCourt has a remarkable gift for wit and the book is quite moving and inspiring. It won the Pulitzer Prize. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Angelas-Ashes-...e=UTF8&s=books

The book was made into a movie a few years back. I have not seen the movie, but the reviews were not great. Didn't seem to me like it would make that great of a movie. The magic of the book is the narrative, not so much the story.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that the author that really lambasted the US?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is that the author that really lambasted the US?
? Not that I know of. I highly doubt it.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default Tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Just bought a copy of Teacher Man by Frank McCourt. I thoroughly enjoyed Angela's Ashes a few years back and Teacher Man is getting rave reviews so far. I have not read Tis (the middle book of the trilogy), but I hear it was just OK. Anyone red Tis? Is it worth the effort or should I skip directly to Teacher Man?
I read it awhile back, just checked, and it came out in 1999, so I may have read it 5-6 yrs ago. Anyway, I recall it being not quite as good as Angela's Ashes, but after that, of course, expectations were quite high. It was still a good read, and to this day I can't recall exactly where one story stopped, and the next book picked-up. In Tis he continues to tell-all, including some graphic things about his experiences in WWII. Haven't read the current book, so can't say if its needed to understand it. Myself, I would want to read them in order, I think.

Its a classic story of the value of hard work and education and the American Dream.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
I read it awhile back, just checked, and it came out in 1999, so I may have read it 5-6 yrs ago. Anyway, I recall it being not quite as good as Angela's Ashes, but after that, of course, expectations were quite high. It was still a good read, and to this day I can't recall exactly where one story stopped, and the next book picked-up. In Tis he continues to tell-all, including some graphic things about his experiences in WWII. Haven't read the current book, so can't say if its needed to understand it. Myself, I would want to read them in order, I think.

Its a classic story of the value of hard work and education and the American Dream.
Thanks. I think I will pick up a copy.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:47 AM   #8
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the writing in AA was great. It was innovative in that as he aged from childhood to 20-ish, his writing/soeaking style changed just as it should in life. I can't remember any other books with that form and it won me over. Compelling story, good writing. Never did get around to Tis.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote