cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Munich

Saw it tonight. I am not a huge Spielberg fan, mainly in the sense that I feel he gets too sentimental. That he succumbs to his instinct to entertain rather than to create art.

Anyway, this may be his best film.

Given the many debates on cougarboard about terrorism and our response to it, it is also timely.

That he managed to piss off both Jews and Muslims means he did something right.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Munich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Saw it tonight. I am not a huge Spielberg fan, mainly in the sense that I feel he gets too sentimental. That he succumbs to his instinct to entertain rather than to create art.

Given the many debates on cougarboard about terrorism and our response to it, it is also timely.

Thanks. You've persuaded me to see it. I don't have a lot of free time for movies these days.

I agree with your perspective of good art. My most fervent wish is before I die to write the novel that pisses off Christians and atheists alike.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Munich

Quote:

Thanks for the review. Can't wait to see it.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

i liked it....

i was a tad bit confused at first due to the fact i didnt want to be there and i wanted to be making out with the girl i was with...

he never calls muslims, muslims, calls them arabs. he shows the worry some jews felt about what they were doing...i thought he portrayed both sides quite equally which was quite impressive.

i just wish i knew exactly how much of the story was based on real events, and how much of it was 'inspired' by real events.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I've been wanting to see it.

Eric Bana is an underated actor.

FWIW among Spielberg films I think his most underated and his 2nd best film....next to Saving Private Ryan, is Minority Report.

I was glued to my seat the entire time. It was the first time I'd ever seen, not a "WHODUNIT", but a "WHOS GONNA DO IT?".

Great flick even though the grainy way they shot was a little annoying.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
I've been wanting to see it.

Eric Bana is an underated actor.

FWIW among Spielberg films I think his most underated and his 2nd best film....next to Saving Private Ryan, is Minority Report.

I was glued to my seat the entire time. It was the first time I'd ever seen, not a "WHODUNIT", but a "WHOS GONNA DO IT?".

Great flick even though the grainy way they shot was a little annoying.
i loved minority report....

beware, munich has many a scene with that 'grainy way' they shot the film.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the best compliment I can give to Spielberg about Munich is that if you watched it and didn't know who the director was, you would never suspect it was Spielberg.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't seen it, but if I do, it'll probably be after it's on pay-per-view.

I'm old enough to vaguely remember that there was something completely unrelated to sports going on during the Olympics, though I never really worried about it, as I was only 8 years old.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:57 AM   #9
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the best compliment I can give to Spielberg about Munich is that if you watched it and didn't know who the director was, you would never suspect it was Spielberg.
Amen to that -- I saw it over the weekend. I mostly liked the film, but I was ready for it to be over 30 minutes before it did (*so* *many* *endings*). And that sex scene toward the end -- uh, so were they trying to show that when the dude makes love, he's really thinking about terrorists? Each his own, I guess. (Or was he trying to plant the seeds of terrorism into her? Or discharge the terrorism in his own soul?)

Only other complaint: Bana was inconsistent with his accent, IMHO. There were a couple lines where he sounded downright American. Odd considering he's Australian (I think).

All in all, though, it surprised me to see Spielberg make a movie that felt like that one and I'll give him madd propz for doing so.

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I finally got around to seeing Munich. I loved Saving Private Ryand and Schindler's List, but I found this film to be off. It's certainly engaging enough to have kept me watching for nearly three hours. I am not above shutting off the projector if I really dislike a film. But, as I say, though better than the average fare this one seemed a little off to me compared to Spielberg's finest achievements.

After some thought I think the plot and character developement were flat. The episodic nature of the film hurt, and I didn't really see any masterful acting, but I think the real problem was in the writing.

Tribalism is a vestage of primitive peoples, and those of us lacking tribal attachments are quite sick and tired of mediating hatreds and prejudices, listening to the arrogant and chauvenistic banter, and getting caught in the cross-fire of tribalism. If the protagonist in this film was going to show any change or growth it would have to involve rising above, rejecting tribalism as a paradigm. Spielberg seems to have understood this, and the movie does try to pivot around the Israelis' growing recognition of their own vengeful violence begetting more exponential violence. But this point seems to me a little trite, and I didn't sense any material change in the protagonist's character. To the extent he exerienced exhaustion, disilusionment, anger at his employer's half truths, etc., passing sadnes over the lost time with his baby daughter, and grief or anger over a fallen comrade, these passions didn't seem deeply portrayed, and were the least that you would expect of any human not thoroughly reptilitian. His change in character was not profound or special or really artfully portrayed.

I did like "Papa," the sage in the French Chateau who purported to eschew all forms of allegience except to family.

Except for Papa, I felt tht none of the characters were very likeable, and I don't mean by this that they weren't good enough people. I like stories about flawed people. On the contrary, they weren't very interesting.

The film while better than most was was overrated and disappointing, in my view.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-20-2006 at 09:13 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote