cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mindful, help me understand suicide bombers

I think I can *potentially* grasp the idea of suicide bombing other troops. Or police recruits. Or govt. officials.

But how does a suicide bomber decide that it's a good idea to bomb a family ice cream parlor. Or a playground filled with children.

I'm trying to understand how that could be anything but pure evil.

Help me out here.

I know you wouldn't likely do such a thing (I hope), but you are closer to those who might.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think I can *potentially* grasp the idea of suicide bombing other troops. Or police recruits. Or govt. officials.

But how does a suicide bomber decide that it's a good idea to bomb a family ice cream parlor. Or a playground filled with children.

Help me out here.

I know you wouldn't likely do such a thing (I hope), but you are closer to those who might.
To attack soldiers in a war, I can understand as well.

The only reasons I can see why jihadist attack and murder children are twofold: easy targets who can't fight back and notoriety. If you wish to engender recognition, "Hey I murdered children", then bombing children by direct targeting will achieve your goal. This is different from the terroist attempting to kill a soldier but also collaterally kills children. I can see how the terroists can be so proud of their handiwork. Are there some Persian rugs memorializing jihadists who kill children? Perhaps the names of the jihadists are memorized in the madrasses, while those dirty, horrible children are villified for being alive before death.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

killing someone's children is the oldest trick in the book. Organized criminals have done this for probably eons.

That's how the mafia operates as well.

These jihadists are really nothing more than Islamic mafia.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand more and more the "opposition in all things" concept. There is much good that comes out of religion. Faith can lead one to do some really great things.

On the other hand belief and faith can lead people to do some very horrible things. If your God has authorized you to kill women and children for the greater good, why then would you not do it.

Thank goodness most of us don't take our belief and faith to that extent.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Thank goodness most of us don't take our belief and faith to that extent.
Tal Bachman thought he was supposed to. It's funny but those types always seem to leave the church. It's like they get so caught up in the extremes of obedience that they never understand the spirit of it. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the "nazi" elders in my mission are no longer active or in the church.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
killing someone's children is the oldest trick in the book. Organized criminals have done this for probably eons.

That's how the mafia operates as well.

These jihadists are really nothing more than Islamic mafia.
Going with the blessings of Allah. Well, if that's Allah's will, I want nothing to do with Allah. If that is how Allah operates, I want to be an atheist, because atheists are more humane and better persons than the best of Islam in today's world. Yesterday's world produced some remarkable thinkers, but today Islam does not produce great thinkers.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Help me out here.

for Mike the great who has doubtlessly embraced the idea of nuking a whole town ..it wouldnot be any difficult to grasp suicide bombers fantasy.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
To attack soldiers in a war, I can understand as well.

The only reasons I can see why jihadist attack and murder children are twofold: easy targets who can't fight back and notoriety. If you wish to engender recognition, "Hey I murdered children", then bombing children by direct targeting will achieve your goal. This is different from the terroist attempting to kill a soldier but also collaterally kills children. I can see how the terroists can be so proud of their handiwork. Are there some Persian rugs memorializing jihadists who kill children? Perhaps the names of the jihadists are memorized in the madrasses, while those dirty, horrible children are villified for being alive before death.
persian rugs are all about beauty ..if you feel like watching devastating detestable pictures ,you can just simply google "nuke japan" or gas iraq" .. you might even be willing to take one of the photos as your avatar.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
for Mike the great who has doubtlessly embraced the idea of nuking a whole town ..it wouldnot be any difficult to grasp suicide bombers fantasy.
oh yeah, Mike is a hard core genocide and torture supporter.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
persian rugs are all about beauty ..if you feel like watching devastating detestable pictures ,you can just simply google "nuke japan" or gas iraq" .. you might even be willing to take one of the photos as your avatar.
by the way, you're talking about people just wanting to feel macho by talking about nuking other countries. Yet I doubt they'd actually do it. Yet, suicide bombing is a daily occurrence in some parts of the world. If they had nukes to do it with do you think they'd hesitate to use them? We all know the answer to that is no.