cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 AM   #81
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I don't know, I suspect you'd be a cranky drunk.
Nah, you'd be surprised how laid back I am. Like everyone else on here, I'm a lot easier to get along with in person.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #82
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Give us some detail as to how the iron-rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I didn't take Tex's post as an attempt to house clean. It seemed like an honest question.
My thoughts are a long the lines of what Arch posted several pages back. CG is a nice non-hostile place to bitch and moan, let some steam off, get it off the chest and move on.
I personally get tired of a lot of the man-worship I see in church. Worship of men in SLC or "the church" itself. Wise, inspired men and organization no doubt, but just men. None of them hung on a cross for my sins. The church is a means to an end. Jesus is real point, as we all know. They are doing their best to point us to the cross and I'm sure they get irritated at the worship as well.
I get tired too of the literalness of most lessons. Endless lessons that I've heard 100 times before on what the words say. Not what they mean. But I guess that's what personal study is for. When I taught early morning seminary I tried to take this approach, and the kids ate it up. They want something with depth. They *really* want it. The lady who taught the freshman was a real iron-rodder, regurgitating the stuff we've all heard for years. I taught the sophomores and I had several kids tell me that they actually paid attention in class and didn't just come in and go to sleep. I don't say that to toot my trombone, only to say these kids want to learn. And nobody learns when you just keep recyling primary lessons.

It does get irritating from time to time. And CG is a nice place to vent. A nice play to pull up a chair, sip a mountatin dew, eat some nachos, fart and chat.
taught a principle or concept vs. you?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote