cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #71
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Nonetheless, it probably wasnt a great idea to use that word, even in jest.
Good advice.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #72
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I want to see a rebuttal of my long post from Pelagius. If he so desires.
I read the whole thing. It makes me want to go put my head in the sand somewhere. I dearly wish we would get out of this thing or at least not engage in sophistry in its support. I think I am going to pray that some hearts get softened. Either mine or the engineers of all this. I am very thankful that I am not confronted with the specter of personal involvement.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #73
myboynoah

Quote:
Ah, thanks for using the Indy/Tex device of calling a well-written thoughtful post a troll.
No, you're the one trying to sweeten your bait by specifically calling out your intended target, the legendary big fish, Pelagius.

I can't speak to how well written your post was, because I didn't read it (just too long and I assume I've heard it all before). But I take your word for it.

Brevity Mike, brevity.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #74
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
No, you're the one trying to sweeten your bait by specifically calling out your intended target, the legendary big fish, Pelagius.

I can't speak to how well written your post was, because I didn't read it (just too long and I assume I've heard it all before). But I take your word for it.

Brevity Mike, brevity.
Don't blame me for not being brief. Blame the writer(s) of that editorial. It had so many inane statements, that a proper response required addressing a lot more than I wanted to.

The reason I want to hear from Pelagius, is because 1) he is thoughtful, and 2) he is more religiously "conservative" than me. If anyone could come up with a thoughtful defense of that editorial, and a rebuttal to my points, it would be Pelagius.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #75
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Brevity Mike, brevity.
That's a shame. It's a fascinating topic to me. I appreciate the detail.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #76
Jim Swarthout

Jim Swarthout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How so? I wasn't around back then, but I thought The Church's primary argument on polygamy was religous freedom. Those supporting gay marriage appeal to civil liberties.
Don't you agree that religious freedom is a subset of civil liberties?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #77
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The thing that they don't say is that the church supported Proposition 2 in Utah that prohibited the recognition of "any legal status identical or similar to marriage." In other words, there is a strong argument there that the church is also opposed to civil unions. They would have gay couples hire a lawyer and pay thousands of dollars to achieve some of the rights that would be accorded in a civil union. Someone is welcome to provide an alternative viewpoint that the church supports or is willing to tolerate civil unions, but I don't believe it can be made. So the above paragraph in my opinion, is disingenuous.
Yes, it is disingenuous. Back in 2004 when an anti-gay marriage proposition was on the Utah ballot, the church issued a short statement expressing support. There was some discussion that it was leaving the door open for civil unions. A few weeks later they clarified it and added a statement that went something like this "...or any other legal arrangement approximating marriage", thus slamming the door on civil unions as well.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #78
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
"As Church members decide their own appropriate level of involvement in protecting marriage between a man and a woman, they should approach this issue with respect for others, understanding, honesty, and civility. "

Isn't this section from the statement basically saying that individual Church members have a right to abstain from campaigning for Proposition 8 and they shouldn't be hassled by other members for this? That's how I read it.
Yes, and insinuations to the contrary are out of line (however well intentioned).

I'm not seeing much respect, understanding, honesty, or civility from those who would literally try to browbeat me into agreeing with them. UD and a few other CGers seem to be dealing with those who disagree in this fashion, but the rest of us have work to do.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-14-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #79
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I read the whole thing. It makes me want to go put my head in the sand somewhere. I dearly wish we would get out of this thing or at least not engage in sophistry in its support. I think I am going to pray that some hearts get softened. Either mine or the engineers of all this. I am very thankful that I am not confronted with the specter of personal involvement.
I'm with you on this, UD.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #80
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Swarthout View Post
Don't you agree that religious freedom is a subset of civil liberties?
I suppose, but the Saints appealed to the First Amendment while those espousing gay marriage appeal to gains made under the Civil Rights Movement and beyond. I suspect the arguments in support of each position are vastly different.