cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #71
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I actually don't like it either. In college I would get the first 4-5 down as fast as I could so the remaining ones wouldn't taste so awful.

I don't like it either, not htta I have ever tassted it.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #72
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It tastes like chicken. Or so I hear.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #73
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A risky move might be to give a 14 year old an Oduhls. It might make them never want to have a beer again.

Then again it might get him and you shunned at the ward.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #74
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It tastes like chicken. Or so I hear.

Exactly and, as Bobcat Goldwaithe once elegantly remarked "If it tastes lkie (*%$&^% chicken, then why don't we just eat *&%$ chicken?"
Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #75
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
A risky move might be to give a 14 year old an Oduhls. It might make them never want to have a beer again.

Then again it might get him and you shunned at the ward.

SO it's a win/win?
Old 02-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #76
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Exactly and, as Bobcat Goldwaithe once elegantly remarked "If it tastes lkie (*%$&^% chicken, then why don't we just eat *&%$ chicken?"
I remarked to one of my scouts "You complain that the fish tasted too fishy. How come no one ever complains that chicken tastes too chicken-y or that beef tastes too beefy?"
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #77
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I started to try to write something that expressed, in very broad terms, a similar sentiment, but I am not sure I can do it better than this.

Can I join you and 71?
May I bring the dancing girls? Or should we just go for the tried and true method of strippers?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #78
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I didn't take Tex's post as an attempt to house clean. It seemed like an honest question.
My thoughts are a long the lines of what Arch posted several pages back. CG is a nice non-hostile place to bitch and moan, let some steam off, get it off the chest and move on.
I personally get tired of a lot of the man-worship I see in church. Worship of men in SLC or "the church" itself. Wise, inspired men and organization no doubt, but just men. None of them hung on a cross for my sins. The church is a means to an end. Jesus is real point, as we all know. They are doing their best to point us to the cross and I'm sure they get irritated at the worship as well.
I get tired too of the literalness of most lessons. Endless lessons that I've heard 100 times before on what the words say. Not what they mean. But I guess that's what personal study is for. When I taught early morning seminary I tried to take this approach, and the kids ate it up. They want something with depth. They *really* want it. The lady who taught the freshman was a real iron-rodder, regurgitating the stuff we've all heard for years. I taught the sophomores and I had several kids tell me that they actually paid attention in class and didn't just come in and go to sleep. I don't say that to toot my trombone, only to say these kids want to learn. And nobody learns when you just keep recyling primary lessons.

It does get irritating from time to time. And CG is a nice place to vent. A nice play to pull up a chair, sip a mountatin dew, eat some nachos, fart and chat.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #79
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I didn't take Tex's post as an attempt to house clean. It seemed like an honest question.
My thoughts are a long the lines of what Arch posted several pages back. CG is a nice non-hostile place to bitch and moan, let some steam off, get it off the chest and move on.
I personally get tired of a lot of the man-worship I see in church. Worship of men in SLC or "the church" itself. Wise, inspired men and organization no doubt, but just men. None of them hung on a cross for my sins. The church is a means to an end. Jesus is real point, as we all know. They are doing their best to point us to the cross and I'm sure they get irritated at the worship as well.
I get tired too of the literalness of most lessons. Endless lessons that I've heard 100 times before on what the words say. Not what they mean. But I guess that's what personal study is for. When I taught early morning seminary I tried to take this approach, and the kids ate it up. They want something with depth. They *really* want it. The lady who taught the freshman was a real iron-rodder, regurgitating the stuff we've all heard for years. I taught the sophomores and I had several kids tell me that they actually paid attention in class and didn't just come in and go to sleep. I don't say that to toot my trombone, only to say these kids want to learn. And nobody learns when you just keep recyling primary lessons.

It does get irritating from time to time. And CG is a nice place to vent. A nice play to pull up a chair, sip a mountatin dew, eat some nachos, fart and chat.
I had a few teachers like you describe yourself, and they are the only ones I remember. They had a strong impact on me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 AM   #80
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Can I come? I've met 71' and he can vouch for my lack of hipness.
I don't know, I suspect you'd be a cranky drunk.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote