cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #71
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I didn't see the whole interview, so I really am curious to hear your concerns, as I may very well agree with them.
I posted the full interview above. I'll have to post my concerns about the her responses and her history tomorrow, as it's awfully late here.

I was particularly bothered by her answers about Russia/Georgia, but at the same time they simply echo McCain's statements, as you would expect them to.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:36 AM   #72
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I think we're definitely over-obsessing with this brief clip. Henry Kissinger she is not, but she's not Elmer Fudd either, for crying out loud. You're seriously going to start making IQ judgments from this interview? Seriously?

You folks are acting like she said Fargo was the capital of France.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 AM   #73
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think we're definitely over-obsessing with this brief clip. Henry Kissinger she is not, but she's not Elmer Fudd either, for crying out loud. You're seriously going to start making IQ judgments from this interview? Seriously?

You folks are acting like she said Fargo was the capital of France.
Who is? All I'm saying is that you can't dismiss it as meaningless.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #74
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Governor Palin do you agree that countries that harbor terrorists should be treated as terrorists themselves, and if you were president, would you authorize the invasion, for example, of Iran if it were harboring terrorists who had just attacked the United States? What about Russia? What do you view as being the limits of that doctrine? Do you agree with the assessment of the Bush administration that it was necessary to preemptively remove a regime from power on the basis of its belief that it might one day give WMD to terrorists? If not, how would you modify that view?

That is the long hand version of the same question. Whether people know the terms or not, I think the above are fair questions. Agree?
Those are great questions. What's wrong with asking them that way?

Anyway, I think we'll just end up agreeing to disagree on what is probably a fairly minor point. We both have some reservations about her, differing in degrees at this point.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #75
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Those are great questions. What's wrong with asking them that way?

Anyway, I think we'll just end up agreeing to disagree on what is probably a fairly minor point. We both have some reservations about her, differing in degrees at this point.
Fair enough. I should add that nothing she has said or done has made me not want to vote McCain as a result. That point could come, but not over this.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:52 AM   #76
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I posted the full interview above. I'll have to post my concerns about the her responses and her history tomorrow, as it's awfully late here.

I was particularly bothered by her answers about Russia/Georgia, but at the same time they simply echo McCain's statements, as you would expect them to.
What part do you disagree with? I probably will have to claim some level of ignorance on the subject here, so this is a sincere question. I actually like the idea of keeping our commitments to NATO as a matter of principle.

I'll wait for tomorrow for the discussion. Go to bed. In the meantime, I will stay up all night, saving lives.

Last edited by ERCougar; 09-12-2008 at 05:55 AM.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #77
Tex

Quote:
Who is?
Look around.

Quote:
All I'm saying is that you can't dismiss it as meaningless.
Who is?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #78
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
here's the full transcript and video
Thanks BatGirl. Some reaction:

1) Overall, Charlie looks to be in "I'm going to get you mode," which isn't his general MO. I doubt it would be the same for McCain, Obama, or Biden. I wonder why.

2) ABC clearly edited the church quote, taking away the context and altering the original meaning. Palin's answer tried to reestablish that, but I think this is very bad form and shows a clear bias on ABC's/Charlie's part.

3) Her views on Georgia membership in NATO are the same as Obama's views, correct? Charlie said "war" with Russia, she said "perhaps so" and "help" a NATO ally. I wonder why this is such a controversy. Do I not understand the meaning of "alliance." I would like to know why she thinks Russia was unprovoked by Georgia, but I doubt anybody else cares.

4) Someone here mocked her for noting that one could see Russia from Alaska. I will note that Charlie raised the proximity issue TWICE before she did.

5) On Israel/Iran, I see no problem with that answer, and the vast majority of Americans agree, even Obama when speaking before Jewish groups.

6) Her "gaff" on "the Bush Doctrine" is her weakest moment. Well, there it is, she gaffed. Charlie was trying to get her, and he did (refer back to point one). She was not able to avoid every pitfall Charlie put before her. It was coming, we knew it, and now it has happened. UD is a wonk, so not surprising that it would bother him. I'm a bit of a wonk and I do wish she had shown a better understanding of the term, but frankly, I don't remember the last time the term was used in a public way. That said, she showed a clear understanding of and agreement with the "Bush Doctrine," even though she wasn't immediately clear on Charlie's question.

7) The big question is how this affects voters. Obviously, the lines are drawn here, so it doesn't matter what you all think. Is the average undecided going to care that her only muff was on "the Bush Doctrine?" Or are they going to care more about how she comes across in the face of the contrary Charlie Gibson? She looked strong, professed belief that God has a plan for us, talked about her son going to defend our freedom, gave support to Israel, was resolute against Russia (which you can see from Alaska), and said we needed to get the terrorists. What's not to like?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #79
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You're seriously going to start making IQ judgments from this interview? Seriously?
I believe that was Seattle, whose ferver for Palin makes Obama fans seem reserved by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Thanks BatGirl. Some reaction:

1) Overall, Charlie looks to be in "I'm going to get you mode," which isn't his general MO. I doubt it would be the same for McCain, Obama, or Biden. I wonder why.
There will be accusations of bias all day today - that he wouldn't have set anyone else up like this. It reminds me of what the moderators did to Hillary in one of the last ABC debates.

Quote:
2) ABC clearly edited the church quote, taking away the context and altering the original meaning. Palin's answer tried to reestablish that, but I think this is very bad form and shows a clear bias on ABC's/Charlie's part.
You've heard the original comment she made, right? They didn't really change the meaning. Or were you referring to the loaded question about a holy war?

Quote:
3) I would like to know why she thinks Russia was unprovoked by Georgia.
exactly. I'll talk about this more later.

Quote:
7) The big question is how this affects voters. ... Is the average undecided going to care that her only muff was on "the Bush Doctrine?" ...
This is what's hard to know. For one thing, voters don't watch stuff like this. But polls indicate that a supermajority of Americans already think she's unqualified to serve, so she can't afford this kind of publicity. One interview alone won't change many minds, but the questions are not going to get any easier. She'll have to keep studying to make it through the debates.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #80
Tex

Funny email on the Corner (adapted for CG):

Quote:
Gibson: What do you think of the Constitution?
Palin: Could you be more specific?
Gibson: [Stares over glasses]
Mudphud: OMG SHE DOESN’T KNOW WHAT THE CONSTITUTION IS!!!!

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young