cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #71
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
However, in light of the public issues at stake, cautious driving and watching out for cyclists, the state cannot take a position of leniency.
This is an argument that could be applied to any crime. It's totally nebulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Specific and general intent for crimes are complex and not understood by most lay persons and also not by many lawyers.

In this instance, I can see no reason for mercy to rob justice. If it were a private crime with no public consequences, then I could see an argument for it. However, in this instance, tragic deaths resulted by one who was supposed to guard against it. It is a very tragic crime.

I find it incomprehensible that Tex cannot say, "he should be prosecuted," even if it would be a nice gesture if the families forgave him. I think they should forgive him, but he must pay the price of this tragic crime, as notice to others. Police should not believe they are above the law.
I don't know how I can be any clearer. If the family/law chooses to prosecute and punish, I do not think it represents a miscarriage of justice. What he did was a horrible mistake. The blinded Themis will have weighed fairly.

On a personal level, for both the man and the families, I'm not sure this kind of justice would achieve as much as the extension of mercy and forgiveness, and the prevailing of that attitude upon those in charge of carrying out the prosecution.

That's all I was trying to say. And I'm done.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 03-10-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #72
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

On a good news front, the third cyclist has been upgraded to stable. Looks like he will make it.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BACTVH7DF.DTL
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #73
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

On a related note - can anyone explain to me the rationale people use to justify being pissed off at bikers?

Mild frustration I can understand, especially when someone's biking on Redwood Road between Lehi Main & Camp Williams, where the speed limit is 55mph, there's absolutely no shoulder room, and cars are backed up for miles behind a biker.

But outright anger? It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not a biker myself, but I can honestly say I've never done anything on the road that would endanger a rider. I typically try to be more careful around them (and peds), since I don't always know what they're going to do...
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #74
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do people get angry at babies and shake them to death? Because they are defenseless.

Cyclists are defenseless as well against a car, and the drivers know it and use this to their advantage.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #75
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Why do people get angry at babies and shake them to death? Because they are defenseless.

Cyclists are defenseless as well against a car, and the drivers know it and use this to their advantage.
It's incomprehensible to me. Why would you EVER do something like this, knowing that it increases the odds of seriously injuring or killing someone?

Are there really that many people in the world that have such a disregard for the sanctity of life?
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #76
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
On a related note - can anyone explain to me the rationale people use to justify being pissed off at bikers?

Mild frustration I can understand, especially when someone's biking on Redwood Road between Lehi Main & Camp Williams, where the speed limit is 55mph, there's absolutely no shoulder room, and cars are backed up for miles behind a biker.

But outright anger? It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not a biker myself, but I can honestly say I've never done anything on the road that would endanger a rider. I typically try to be more careful around them (and peds), since I don't always know what they're going to do...
The only thing that upsets me about bikers is when they insist on biking in the middle of the lane when there is plenty of room to the right. It's not that difficult to bike on the edge of the lane and makes it a lot easier for faster traffic to go around you.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #77
FMCoug

FMCoug

I think I'll be staying in my nice quiet neighborhood for quite some time before venturing out. Especailly since all the roads by me are 2 lane country roads with little to no shoulder.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #78
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
It's incomprehensible to me. Why would you EVER do something like this, knowing that it increases the odds of seriously injuring or killing someone?

Are there really that many people in the world that have such a disregard for the sanctity of life?
Mike's comparison is a pretty good one. I also think it tends to be people that don't see you as poeple. You are like a mailbox or a shopping car tor somethign esle. So theyt get close, thinking it is amusing, and sometimes these very poor deciions have tragic results.

OTOH, it is not as unsafe as we are proabbyl making it sound.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #79
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Mike's comparison is a pretty good one. I also think it tends to be people that don't see you as poeple. You are like a mailbox or a shopping car tor somethign esle. So theyt get close, thinking it is amusing, and sometimes these very poor deciions have tragic results.

OTOH, it is not as unsafe as we are proabbyl making it sound.
It does seem like there's a fair amount of hyperbole going on here, due to the emotion the topic appears to evoke.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #80
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It does seem like there's a fair amount of hyperbole going on here, due to the emotion the topic appears to evoke.
Which statement(s) do you consider to be hyperbole?