cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #71
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
???
So, you want two debates?

On second thought it sounds like a great stimulus package. It will accomplish one thing and one thing only. Now, my question is when will the government get to work on that other thing!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #72
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
So, you want two debates?

On second thought it sounds like a great stimulus package. It will accomplish one thing and one thing only. Now, my question is when will the government get to work on that other thing!
I mean at 800 milliongabillion dollars per one thing, fixing this mess will be easy!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #73
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I mean at 800 milliongabillion dollars per one thing, fixing this mess will be easy!
Not to mention cheap!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #74
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There are a few theories on how to stimulate the economy. One theory is that you spend as much as possible, in diverse sectors of the economy, to lift multiple sectors rather than just one. Water and sewer plants hire people. Construction work requires people doing jobs. Those people get money rather than get laid off. You may argue it isn't the BEST way to stimulate the economy (debatable, and nobody really knows), but it is totally absurd to argue it has no effect on the economy at all. Spending of this amount will have an effect. The debate ought to be whether it is the most efficient way of attaining the desired result rather than whether there is any effect at all.
Quote:
Spending money keeps people employed. Employed people have money to spend. Poor people must spend money (they can't save), so the best stimulus involves money directed towards them. If that makes you feel bad, take it up with principles of economics, or spend money on infrastructure, or something OTHER THAN tax cuts.

Quote:
An Associated Press analysis of stimulus spending found that it didn't matter if a lot of money was spent on highways or none at all: Local unemployment rates rose and fell regardless. And the stimulus spending only barely helped the beleaguered construction industry, the analysis showed.

But AP's analysis, which was reviewed by independent economists at five universities, showed the strategy of pumping transportation money into counties hasn't affected local unemployment rates so far.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/...s_unemployment

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 01-14-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:58 AM   #76
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

BOOM SHAKALAKA!

Cali channels the responses of a right-wing economist and a conservative think tank and scorches Tex's reference to a phantom study.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #77
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post

BOOM SHAKALAKA!

Cali channels the responses of a right-wing economist and a conservative think tank and scorches Tex's reference to a phantom study.
I feel like Tex isn't even trying anymore. It makes this less fun.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 AM   #78
Tex

Quote:

BOOM SHAKALAKA!

Heh, he didn't "scorch" anything. I skimmed the links, and only one (the first) appeared to offer any substantive criticism of the analysis (note: the AP did not call it a "study" in the academic sense).

But hey, I'm not here to defend the AP. It was they and 5 economists who did the analysis, so take it up with them. I report, you decide.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 01-15-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #79
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Heh, he didn't "scorch" anything. I skimmed the links, and only one (the first) appeared to offer any substantive criticism of the analysis (note: the AP did not call it a "study" in the academic sense).

But hey, I'm not here to defend the AP. It was they and 5 economists who did the analysis, so take it up with them. I report, you decide.
So you never take responsibility for your own links because you never read them thoroughly. OK, I get it.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #80
Tex

Quote:
So you never take responsibility for your own links because you never read them thoroughly. OK, I get it.
No, you don't get it at all.

I read the AP story fully and understood exactly what they were saying. But that doesn't make me responsible for defending them; they can do that on their own.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 01-15-2010 at 09:52 PM.