cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #51
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I think the "Blacks, Civil Rights, and the Priesthood" chapter of the McKay book lays out a pretty good case for cause and effect.

No link, but I have the book in front of me.
That's a pretty good recommendation. I think the article considered most influential was Lester Bush's 1973 article: "Mormonism Negro Doctrine: An Historical Overview" http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/doc...PTR=3439&REC=8)

Bush shows I think that virtually all of the historical arguments used to justify the ban were pretty flawed. That strikes me as an important first step, but myboynoah suggestion is more directly a case study of how articles like that influenced things. Still, Bush's article is online.

P.S.

To make sure I don't give the wrong impression. Both the Lord and Spencer W. Kimball deserve most of the credit.

Last edited by pelagius; 04-12-2007 at 09:22 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #52
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
To make sure I don't give the wrong impression. Both the Lord and Spencer W. Kimball deserve most of the credit.
Right, but I think it is fair to ask, what ultimately prompted the prophet to inquire of the Lord on this matter. Absent the civil rights movement and the pressure that was eventually put on the church both externally and internally, does SPW feel troubled enough by it to ask the question?

Maybe yes, but my sense is that like all prophets he made inquires about the troubles and points of contention of his day.

As a member of the church I would not presume to tell a leader what he should do, but I think it is perfectly appropriate to bring issues to our leaders for their consideration.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #53
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I would be interested in an anecdote or two where an alternative voice helped effect real change in the church. I think case studies would be very instructive here.
Okay, my second alternative voice that has been influential: Karl Barth

He is a 20th century protestant theologian. That's got to be alternative. I think the case can be made that Barth had a dramatic effect on the way church members talk about salvation and grace (Jay, for example). I think Barth had a definite influence on what is often termed "Mormon Neo-Orthodoxy."

Last edited by pelagius; 04-12-2007 at 10:46 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote