cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 PM   #51
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
It's only human nature to take an attitude in response to the perceived attitude of the offender.

If a person is going on national TV mocking the church, telling falsehoods about the church, etc. it's more likely they are going to get a very cold reception from most members.

If someone commits adultery, experiences deep sorrow and is actively working to right the wrong they've committed, they're more likely to get a more understanding from members, though certainly there will be some that won't cut that person any slack either.
Right, we agree. From the beginning of this post I have called getting ex'd punishment. Why should anyone shy away from that. Can people punish with love in their heart, sure. However the primary purpose of exing someone is not to show them love. It is to punish them.

If other churches don't think punishing sinners is wrong, then I will just have to disagree with the other churches.

By the way, I can get along quite well with someone of another faith if they don't ram their belief down my throat and of course I afford them the same deference.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #52
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I have only skimmed this thread but it seems to me there is a blurring of the doctrine of excommunication and the perceived intent and behavior of persons that are implementing or carrying out that doctrine. The doctrine of the process shows it is meant to be one of love and repentance, but I have no doubt that it is sometimes not carried out as well as it should be. Within my experience, however, it has been generally well-received and is frequently the first step of a full return. It is also my experience that church leaders are not particularly vigorous in their pursuit of in actives or do not contacts. If you are active and hopefully repentant you are more likely to be ushered through the process than if you are simply uninterested in the church.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #53
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
No. I am arguing that they rarely if ever use excommunication anymore. And that I think it is presumptuous of you to assume that we use it more benevolently than they do.
Perhaps. If you look up a dictionary definition of excommunication in the Catholic church, perhaps you will find that it is indeed executed with as much concern for the excommunicatee as ours are supposed to be. I simply don't know.

It is my impression from non-member friends is that such is not how they view it (in other words, to them it's a strictly punitive act). Perhaps they are misinformed. One thing is certain: I'm learning that it's a common (though false) impression among the CG faithful as well, and so maybe we're not so different after all.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote