cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
But short of a divine explanation for it, and acknowledging that heretofore given explanations were wrong, is not "we don't know" the most honest answer?
I don't think it's honest. I think it's a politically correct.

It really is saying "there is nothing to see here, move along." But they won't even admit that it is that.

They refuse to address the issue head on, out of deference for their deceased friends whom they don't want to look bad. When the dead look bad, they look bad. They worry, "What if one member loses their confidence in us, if we admit to anything that it is less than perfect?" And this prevents them from saying anything than they have said.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #52
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, the ban did exist. And by my reckoning, it existed with the implicit "permission" of God. I recognize some may entertain fantasies of their own as to why, and that is their privilege. But short of a divine explanation for it, and acknowledging that heretofore given explanations were wrong, is not "we don't know" the most honest answer?
Yes.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #53
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You were expecting apologies from the grave?

Well, the ban did exist. And by my reckoning, it existed with the implicit "permission" of God. I recognize some may entertain fantasies of their own as to why, and that is their privilege. But short of a divine explanation for it, and acknowledging that heretofore given explanations were wrong, is not "we don't know" the most honest answer?
The ban existed that is all we can say. It is presumptuous to say it had God's permission, the most we can say is God acquiesced in it.

And perhaps they do know but as Mike has hypothesized, they don't wish to embarrass their dead friends or to lessen the membership's faith in them.