cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW, Rocky, read the letters and analysis which is buttressed and supported by the McKay biography. I believe the material is accurate despite its source. Note especially the Romney letter.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:50 PM   #42
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
BTW, Rocky, read the letters and analysis which is buttressed and supported by the McKay biography. I believe the material is accurate despite its source. Note especially the Romney letter.
Will do. Thanks for the reference.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #43
Archaea

Here is the journal entry from President McKay:

“THURSDAY, January 7, 1960

10:15 to 12:45 p.m. Re: The book—‘Mormon Doctrine’

"The First Presidency met with Elders Mark E. Petersen and Marion G. Romney. They submitted their report upon their examination of the book ‘Mormon Doctrine’ by Elder Bruce McConkie.

These brethren reported that the manuscript of the book ‘Mormon Doctrine’ has not been read by the reading committee; that President Joseph Fielding Smith did not know anything about it until it was published. Elder Petersen stated that the extent of the corrections which he had marked in his copy of the book (1067) affected most of the 776 pages of the book. He also said that he thought the brethren should be under the rule that no book should be published without a specific approval of the First Presidency.

I stated that the decision of the First Presidency and the Committee should be announced to the Twelve.

It was agreed that the necessary corrections are so numerous that to republish a corrected edition of the book would be such an extensive repudiation of the original as to destroy the credit of the author; that the republication of the book should be forbidden and that the book should be repudiated in such a way as to save the career of the author as one of the General Authorities of the Church. It was also agreed that this decision should be announced to the Council of the Twelve before I talk to the author.

Elder Petersen will prepare an editorial for publication in the Improvement Era, stating the principle of approval of books on Church doctrine."

In hindsight, I wish they would have publicly repudiated it so that his career would have been diminished. The Brethren are notably kinder than most lawyers.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #44
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

There is not a lack of documentation for Petersen's and Romney's findings of errors in Mormon Doctrine or for President McKay's not liking it. Memos with signatures, journal entries and the like abound.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #45
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
There is not a lack of documentation for Petersen's and Romney's findings of errors in Mormon Doctrine or for President McKay's not liking it. Memos with signatures, journal entries and the like abound.
Mark E. Peterson. He's the one who talked in coference about white Jesus visiting the Mayans and Hawaiians. I'm not being flip. Those were his words not so long ago.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:47 PM   #46
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In hindsight, I wish they would have publicly repudiated it so that his career would have been diminished. The Brethren are notably kinder than most lawyers.
Apparently, so is God. Remarkable, is it not, that he'd call someone who so thoroughly did not understand His doctrine to the apostleship?

(Yes, there is a small element of sarcasm there. )

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 PM   #47
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Apparently, so is God. Remarkable, is it not, that he'd call someone who so thoroughly did not understand His doctrine to the apostleship?

(Yes, there is a small element of sarcasm there. )
Do you find any coincidence that BRM was called while his father in law was an apostle?

I don't think we see a prophet looking for a David any longer.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 PM   #48
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Mark E. Peterson. He's the one who talked in coference about white Jesus visiting the Mayans and Hawaiians. I'm not being flip. Those were his words not so long ago.
Notice he didn't have the audacity of making that Mormon Doctrine though.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:58 PM   #49
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you find any coincidence that BRM was called while his father in law was an apostle?
I think what every member of the church has to decide is whether or not God directs his prophet, or whether the prophet follows his own whims until God removes him.

Did a little quick searching on the Internet (a poor LDS research resource if ever there was one, sadly) and discovered this little quote on Wikipedia (if you are Cali Coug, stop reading now): "Much of the Bible Dictionary included with the Church's publication of the Bible in 1979 borrows from Mormon Doctrine. For example, the entry for 'Abraham, covenant of' in the Bible Dictionary is exactly the same as the entry for 'Abrahamic covenant' in Mormon Doctrine except for one paragraph. Many other Bible Dictionary entries teach identical concepts with closely paralleled wording as corresponding entries in Mormon Doctrine."

Funny, I never heard this mentioned on Cougarguard. But I sure have heard the 1000+ figure repeated ad infinitum.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 05-30-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #50
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think what every member of the church has to decide is whether or not God directs his prophet, or whether the prophet follows his own whims until God removes him.

Did a little quick searching on the Internet (a poor LDS research resource if ever there was one, sadly) and discovered this little quote on Wikipedia (if you are Cali Coug, stop reading now): "Much of the Bible Dictionary included with the Church's publication of the Bible in 1979 borrows from Mormon Doctrine. For example, the entry for 'Abraham, covenant of' in the Bible Dictionary is exactly the same as the entry for 'Abrahamic covenant' in Mormon Doctrine except for one paragraph. Many other Bible Dictionary entries teach identical concepts with closely paralleled wording as corresponding entries in Mormon Doctrine."

Funny, I never heard this mentioned on Cougarguard. But I sure have heard the 1000+ figure repeated ad infinitum.
Well, guess who headed up the Bible Dictionary committee? BRM. Geeze, somebody who was full of himself, don't you think? Anxious to see his words in print.

You and I have a major disconnect in how God works. I do not believe God intervenes with the frequency you do.

Thus, I don't believe actions allowed by God are necessarily inspired by God, even those including the selection of his leaders. God allows his authorized servants to call others. Sometimes he may intervene to disallow somebody and sometimes, I allow he may actually select somebody, but oft times he just relies upon the good judgment of those who he has allowed to operate for the Church.

The prophet uses his best judgment and is inspired where God absolutely requires it of his prophet. The prophet may be subtlely spiritually educated and guided, but not in the manner you profess.

Thus, it's not impressive for somebody to state, "but he's an apostle." The actions of an apostle may have the authority on behalf of the Church, but it's still different. God would act perfectly and men will not.