cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #41
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
To be truthful all I see are a bunch of people unsure and insecure about what they really believe.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about that crap you guys insist on punishing yourself with.

A testimony while not easy to earn, is meant to be simple.

lol...you guys take yourselves way too seriously.

I will say it is interesting to see the variety of hows, whys and ways people will intellecutalize themselves right out of their own faith and beliefs. Goes to show just how smart and subtle Satan is.
The discussion is about how to protect others from intellectualizing themselves out of their faith due to misunderstanding of history. Satan's already smart and subtle. The discussion is about how to combat that.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #42
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

I think this movement has to be kept separate from what we do on Sunday, for many of the reasons creekster states, and for the simple reason that our Sunday worship has a fairly specific purpose.

This is the key point.

This might be why I appear unsympathetic to the cause, because I'm feeling like there is this notion that not enough Level C type material is taught in LDS chapels on Sunday. I don't think that's the starting place. It might filter in to Sunday talks and lessons after it permeates its way in through other avenues.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #43
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The discussion is about how to protect others from intellectualizing themselves out of their faith due to misunderstanding of history. Satan's already smart and subtle. The discussion is about how to combat that.
Here's a novel concept: Prayer, reading the scriptures, obeying the commandments, exercising faith by doing these things, attending church meetings.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #44
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Here's a novel concept: Prayer, reading the scriptures, obeying the commandments, exercising faith by doing these things, attending church meetings.
Rocky, we know you don't like the tenor of these discussions, but where has anybody stated we should not do these things?

Life is not rigid but fraught with many concerns requiring an intelligent application of general principles. I do not believe a simplistic application of general principles will help us deal with the complexities of the world.

There are many walks of life, and not everybody will simply turn a blind eye to information now readily available.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #45
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Is there anything more obnixiously condescending than professed "Mormon intellectuals" who talk about meat and milk and people being shocked out of the church? These people, far more than mullahs like Boyd K. Packer or atheists like Richard Dawkins, think they have a monopoly on wisdom. Actually they're full of shit. If Mormonism wants to see itself consigned to the dustbin of history like mainline European religions it should follow these folks' advise. The whole idea of a milk-meat dichotomy when it comes to religion is truly laughable.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #46
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Is there anything more obnixiously condescending than professed "Mormon intellectuals" who talk about meat and milk and people being shocked out of the church? These people, far more than mullahs like Boyd K. Packer or atheists like Richard Dawkins, think they have a monopoly on wisdom. Actually they're full of shit. If Mormonism wants to see itself consigned to the dustbin of history like mainline European religions it should follow these folks' advise. The whole idea of a milk-meat dichotomy when it comes to religion is truly laughable.
As you indirectly pointed out earlier, it is not your culture anymore, so why you care is beyond me. We are not dicussing this from your persepctive, as you well know. The milk-meat dichotony is no more or less laughable than your own continued belief in some sort of power in the universe which utterly fails every objective test which you claim mormonism and other organized religions so patently fail. I am well aware of your position, so I don't expect you to agree and I am not offended if you think me or anyone else here is obnoxious in approach. I am offended by your increasingly shrill and disrespectful tone, however, which is neither useful nor interesting.

Btw, who professed to be a mormonintellectual? I certainly didn't and don't, nor do I recall any one else doing so.

Last edited by creekster; 01-15-2007 at 08:46 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #47
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Wow. That was enlightening.

Don't you see any irony in calling someone "obnoxiously condescending" and then claiming in the same post that they are "full of shit"?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:34 PM   #48
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Wow. That was enlightening.

Don't you see any irony in calling someone "obnoxiously condescending" and then claiming in the same post that they are "full of shit"?
Yeah, honestly, I know Creekster said SU's post was uninteresting, but I find it highly entertaining that someone like SU could take such a condescending tone in discussing someone else's obnoxious condescension.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 PM   #49
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It would seem about the only LDS intellectuals here, are SEIQ, All American, Dan and Pelagius. And in an engineering sense, Jeff Lebowski, beyond that, the rest of us are onlookers watching and musing.

SU appears to be linking, somewhat shrilly, to his belief for religious movements to carry on, they must cling to the more fundamentalist version, rather than adopt a more ambiguous intellectual approach. But he has a strange way of articulating it.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #50
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To be truthful all I see are a bunch of people unsure and insecure about what they really believe.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about that crap you guys insist on punishing yourself with.

A testimony while not easy to earn, is meant to be simple.

lol...you guys take yourselves way too seriously.

I will say it is interesting to see the variety of hows, whys and ways people will intellecutalize themselves right out of their own faith and beliefs. Goes to show just how smart and subtle Satan is.
The world is a very simple place for you. Be thankful that this is so.