cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
relationship and shoves it up the noses of those who think that a gay lifestyle is either immoral or unnatural.
Signed Thomas S. Monson

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
says Tex to Matthew Shepard.
I would ask what that has to do with anything, but you didn't bring it up because it was relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
It isn't specious to those that are gay.
Of course not. They will leverage whatever guilt they can to try and get what they want. I understand they want us to think it's the same thing, but it's not.

And to be clear, there are lots of black leaders and average everyday black Americans on record as feeling the same way.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #43
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I would ask what that has to do with anything, but you didn't bring it up because it was relevant.

Of course not. They will leverage whatever guilt they can to try and get what they want. I understand they want us to think it's the same thing, but it's not.

And to be clear, there are lots of black leaders and average everyday black Americans on record as feeling the same way.
Of course it isn't the same. No repression is exactly the same. The repression of women isn't same as the repression of blacks. However, just because the two protected classes are different it doesn't mean one can't draw any parallels between the two. Just because gays have not endured the exact same discrimination as blacks, does not mean valid comparisons can't be drawn between the discrimination of blacks and the discrimination of gays.

Seperate but equal is exactly what most proponents of prop 8 argue. Seperate but equal is part of what blacks faced in their civil rights reform. Are the 2 situation exactly the same? No, but they are close enough to draw a valid comparison with regards to this issue IMHO.

Last edited by Flystripper; 07-30-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #44
Tex

Quote:
Of course it isn't the same. No repression is exactly the same. The repression of women isn't same as the repression of blacks. However, just because the two protected classes are different it doesn't mean one can't draw any parallels between the two. Just because gays have not endured the exact same discrimination as blacks, it does not mean valid comparisons can't be drawn between the discrimination of blacks and the discrimination of gays.

Seperate but equal is exactly what most proponents of prop 8 argue. Seperate but equal is part of what blacks faced in their civil rights reform. Are the 2 situation exactly the same? No, but they are close enough to draw a valid comparison with regards to this issue IMHO.
Well everyone's entitled to their opinion. I think the "similarities" are weak and disparate enough to nearly totally void any meaningful conclusions that could be drawn therefrom. I might just as well talk about how my plight at being a minority (a Mormon) is similar to the black civil rights movement.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #45
Flystripper

Quote:
Well everyone's entitled to their opinion. I think the "similarities" are weak and disparate enough to nearly totally void any meaningful conclusions that could be drawn therefrom. I might just as well talk about how my plight at being a minority (a Mormon) is similar to the black civil rights movement.
What similarities would you draw? Is there a seperate but equal issue that has effected you as a Mormon? Just curious. You said it was easy.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #46
Tex

Quote:
What similarities would you draw? Is there a seperate but equal issue that has effected you as a Mormon? Just curious. You said it was easy.
Huh? I didn't say it was easy. It's NOT easy. That's the point. There's not many.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #47
Flystripper

Quote:
Huh? I didn't say it was easy. It's NOT easy. That's the point. There's not many.
I missread what you wrote, you didn't say it was easy.

Drawing the comparison of the current mormon plight (if there even is one and I don't think you really think there is) would indeed be difficult. I agree.

However, it is not as seemingly difficult to draw comparisons between gay marriage prohibition and Plessy v Ferguson. Are they exactly the same? No.

I don't think it cheapens what blacks have overcome in this country to draw this comparison over very real discrimination that gays face, rather it acknowledges that the standard from which discrimination is measured in this country begins with what the black community has historically faced.

In 1955 much of white America could not understand why the blacks were so up in arms about wanting to ride in the front of the bus. In 2008 much of straight America does not understand why the gays are so up in arms about no being able to marry. I am sorry if the comparison offends you, but i still stand by notion that while the comparison isn't perfect, it still fits.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #48
Tex

Quote:
In 1955 much of white America could not understand why the blacks were so up in arms about wanting to ride in the front of the bus. In 2008 much of straight America does not understand why the gays are so up in arms about no being able to marry. I am sorry if the comparison offends you, but i still stand by notion that while the comparison isn't perfect, it still fits.
It doesn't offend me, and as I said, you're entitled to your opinion. I don't expect my brief comments to change it. But I also stand by mine, that it's a specious comparison. And reducing the civil rights movement to which part of the bus one sits in is near equally so.

Are there separate water fountains for gays? Restrooms? Are there grocery stores, pool halls, doctors offices that post signs, "no gays allowed"? Do they have separate, substandard schools? Are there laws prohibiting gays and straights from marrying? Are gays barred from voting? From holding public office?

And what about homosexuality itself. We're still VERY conflicted as a nation about where it exactly comes from. Does one choose it or not? Is it a behavior or is it a condition? No one asks these questions about race. Tell me, can you identify a gay person at birth?

I recognize there are some very limited and highly specific examples of so-called discrimination, such as in the military and in this case, marriage. But the plight of gays bears almost no resemblance to the plight of blacks, which is why--I reiterate--that many blacks themselves take umbrage at the usurpation of their movement.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #49
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I don't really want to wade into this discussion, but after reading this I did want to reiterate that I find the comparison of the gay man's plight to the black man's to be entirely specious.
Tex, you only say this because of your ingrained prejudice against gays as sinners. I'm sure Mark E. Peterson would assure us that the comparison of "the black man's plight" to the Jews' "is entirely specious." Why? Of course because Peterson believed blacks were pre-existant sinners who got what was coming to them. You're no different. But since gays by all appearances don't choose to be gay, their plight is very comparable to blacks'.

(By the way, your usage of "black MAN's plight" is sexist and archaic in and of itself, and thereby speaks volumes.)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:12 AM   #50
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What are the important differences between the two, then? I really am curious about what you see as so dissimilar between the two situation so as to make them non-analogous.

Edit: I didn't see your post above before posting this. Unless you feel that one is a complete answer, I am interested in any further response you have to this.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug

Last edited by SoCalCoug; 07-30-2008 at 12:16 AM.
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote