cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

when I was growing up they had a "student ward." Basically it meant that you were 18 or older, and that you didn't have a kid who was 18 months or older. You could be married or single. But for the most part it functioned as a singles ward.

Do these exist anymore?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #42
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Interestingly enough, there are those in family stakes very opposed to singles wards, and this is one of the reasons. The family bishops and stake presidents feel like they can keep better tabs on their kids than the singles ward bishops. Sometimes this can cause unfortunate friction between the two "competing" organizations.

I have found that if the singles ward bishop is diligent and makes good use of his counselors and student assistants, he can do a pretty good job on staying on top of where the kids are and how they are doing. Not all bishops do that though. And it's true, if a kid wants to not be found, he can more easily do so because singles natures have a much higher degree of turnover.

That said, I think the opportunities singles get in a singles ward are invaluable, both socially and ecclesiastically.
I agree. The leadership experiences are invaluable. The problem is that in a large singles ward that covers a huge geographic area (like an entire metropolis) it's nearly impossible to keep track of everyone who may show up. As a clerk it was a major issue trying to figure out who everyone was and help the bishopric know who all these people constantly moving on and off the records of the ward are. And that doesn't even include the dozens who show up and never move their records in. Those are the ones the home wards should be most worried about. Unfortunately what often happens is the home bishop thinks they're in the singles ward when they're really not.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #43
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
when I was growing up they had a "student ward." Basically it meant that you were 18 or older, and that you didn't have a kid who was 18 months or older. You could be married or single. But for the most part it functioned as a singles ward.

Do these exist anymore?
There used to be a student ward in Denton for UNT students. But they eventually kicked the married people into the regular ward and now it's a typical YSA ward.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 PM   #44
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I agree. The leadership experiences are invaluable. The problem is that in a large singles ward that covers a huge geographic area (like an entire metropolis) it's nearly impossible to keep track of everyone who may show up. As a clerk it was a major issue trying to figure out who everyone was and help the bishopric know who all these people constantly moving on and off the records of the ward are. And that doesn't even include the dozens who show up and never move their records in. Those are the ones the home wards should be most worried about. Unfortunately what often happens is the home bishop thinks they're in the singles ward when they're really not.
Intuitively I don't see the logic here. What leadership or opportunities do you have in a singles ward besides RS and EQ? Family wards are always starving for good active adult members to fill leadership or teaching callings. Singles wards seem to make up stuff to give everyone a calling. A family member for instance is in a married student ward. Their callings are assistant ushers. If they were going to their family ward, they'd both be snatched up quickly in the YM and YM organizations and providing real service, being trained by seasoned leaders.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #45
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Intuitively I don't see the logic here. What leadership or opportunities do you have in a singles ward besides RS and EQ? Family wards are always starving for good active adult members to fill leadership or teaching callings. Singles wards seem to make up stuff to give everyone a calling. A family member for instance is in a married student ward. Their callings are assistant ushers. If they were going to their family ward, they'd both be snatched up quickly in the YM and YM organizations and providing real service, being trained by seasoned leaders.
Methinks you are describing one particular scenario. Just as not every person will be called to be EQ or RS president in a singles ward, not every person is "snatched up" by their family ward and put to useful work, either. Obviously there are exceptions on both sides.

All things equal, I think the opportunities are simply greater in a student/singles ward, but that's not to say there aren't some opportunities in a family ward too.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #46
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Yeah, that's a good point too. There are real issues with the segregation model the church has now with marrieds and singles. I wish we could go back to everyone in the same ward. There can be lots of activities for bringing the singles together without having to have a totally different ward.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #47
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
That is what my brother did. She was Catholic and Philipino. Not exactly what all of us thought would be a perfect match. She was an awesome gal though. Eventually she joined the church and I think he can thank his activity to her.

Of course if I taught a class at a singles ward, I would teach you shouldn't marry outside of the church.
Of course if you taught me in a single's ward, you tell me it's against company policy to have your oil changed in every car you drive as well.