cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #31
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Thanks. Can you provide me with a list of the various factions in residence here?
I glory in my immaturity and have a personal goal to mention man made secondary mammory glands in every post.

I also think critical thinking and asking questions is peachy, and perhaps even nipple hardening, but in the end what cranks my engine is getting the right answers to the questions asked.

While referring to others as colloquial equivalents of an anal orofice is a bit common for my taste, I will be the first to tell you that SeattleUte is a dickhead.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
C3PO: Lebowski
C3PO? So I am a gay robot?

Thanks a lot, buddy.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #33
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
C3PO? So I am a gay robot?

Thanks a lot, buddy.
I didn't quite make that connection either.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #34
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Lebowki was supposed to be R2D2. Myboynoah (the Frenchie) C3PO. My mistake. Sorry.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 AM   #35
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Intellectuals are also usually academics. Generally, their professional expectations and pursuits lead them to harsh criticism of "the Church" because often faith and the scientific method are at odds.

In the end their influence is extremely limited. Academics are welcome to their sphere as a bunch of needlenecked wankers whose most daunting professional hazzard is a paper cut, but really the only folks they influence is each other. Look who is the President of the United States, think he ever reads the editorials?

This brilliant venue is just a place they can congregate in their cyber world. Let them have it without being such a dick sometimes. The Church is a big tent and their contributions are meaningful even though their rhetoric is often tiring. But their rhetoric is usually maintained within their spheres, if you don't like it don't come, but honestly your condescending trite critiques of their lack of faith is probably more tiring, as you are in their sphere, and equally arrogant.
Pretty good analysis. Especially the "needlenecked wankers." The problem is, I've never heard a so-called intellectual say, "we really need to get these damned simple-faith types out of the church." Sure, the arrogance comes from both sides, but IMO, the exclusion does not. A lot of these people seem to just want to be able to state an opinion without fear of reprisal from the "orthodox" crowd.

BTW, I think the "intellectual / non-intellectual" division is artificial and contrived. These issues are too complicated to lump everyone into one group or the other. But, that kind of thinking probably makes me an "intellectual."
Old 05-08-2007, 12:53 AM   #36
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Lebowki was supposed to be R2D2. Myboynoah (the Frenchie) C3PO. My mistake. Sorry.
So I am a short, mute robot. Gotcha.

(Let this be a lesson, folks. Never admit that you are an engineer. Thereafter, any attempts to act cool will fail miserably.)
Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 AM   #37
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Pretty good analysis. Especially the "needlenecked wankers." The problem is, I've never heard a so-called intellectual say, "we really need to get these damned simple-faith types out of the church." Sure, the arrogance comes from both sides, but IMO, the exclusion does not. A lot of these people seem to just want to be able to state an opinion without fear of reprisal from the "orthodox" crowd.

BTW, I think the "intellectual / non-intellectual" division is artificial and contrived. These issues are too complicated to lump everyone into one group or the other. But, that kind of thinking probably makes me an "intellectual."
It's more an issue of dominant groupthink, and the power of the collective to suppress a minority by diminishing the voice of the minority, alternate voices. The majority, historically and even within the Church pulls the ultimate trump card, omnipotent God has authored the majority opinion and has placed his imprimatur upon it. In a theorcratic organization, those opposing the Divine will be deemed heretics, worthy of death, banishment and exclusion.

You see it in Rocky's pronouncements that those who disagree with his and only his interpretation are going to hell. He's invoking his authority to speak for God and to condemn the heretics. Nothing's changed after millions of years.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-08-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:33 AM   #38
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's more an issue of dominant groupthink, and the power of the collective to suppress a minority by diminishing the voice of the minority, alternate voices. The majority, historically and even within the Church pulls the ultimate trump card, omnipotent God has authored the majority opinion and has placed his imprimatur upon it. In a theorcratic organization, those opposing the Divine will be deemed heretics, worthy of death, banishment and exclusion.
Well stated.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:59 AM   #39
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
When it comes to church doctrine and spiritual matters?

Church leaders or "intellectuals"?
I'm pretty sure many church leaders are intellectuals. It's probably safe to say that many of the changes that have taken place in the church are a direct result of these leaders. Questioning practices and beliefs has led to things like blacks receiving the priesthood. If everyone had blind faith and belief there would be no progress.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:15 AM   #40
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
So I am a short, mute robot. Gotcha.

(Let this be a lesson, folks. Never admit that you are an engineer. Thereafter, any attempts to act cool will fail miserably.)
Fixed it.

Clearly R2D2 is a helluva engineer. You should be proud.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote