cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My main complaint is that he lied to the public.

That he quotes the bible to describe his love to his mistress and justify remaining governor is merely the icing.
Well, if every politician who did this were deposed, we'd be left without government. Again, I will not research it to dignify the occasion, but did he spend government money? If he did not, so what?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #32
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
You know, your line of ignorance and being uninformed looks like this:

Ignorance to --> knowledge to --> a lot of knowledge to --> cynicism and paranoia to --> that cynicism distorting the previously gained knowledge and all newly acquired knowledge to --> ignorance and being uninformed

It is possible for men to pass a threshold of cynicism -- even paranoia -- where what once counted as knowledge now only counts for deep cynicism -- a blinding cynicism to reality. I think you've crossed that threshold.
And you divined this wonderful line of logic yourself? Small wonder it is not adopted much elsewhere.

Are people out to get you? Not me, but it is naive to believe politician operate for anything other than previously described motives. I chose awareness over ignorance, you call ignorance hope.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #33
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He quoted 1 Corinthians 13 to his Argentinian lover.

http://www.thestate.com/sanford/story/839350.html

Is there anything more entertaining than a saved Bible thumper in the throes of passionate hypocrisy?
He hasn't been known as a bible thumper. He's an episcopalian which is a pretty liberal denomination. He speaks the bible thumper lingo to get votes in S. Carolina, but he's not really an evangelical or religious right. It's a shame to see what he did because he's about the last one left in the republican party that had any libertarian leanings whatsoever.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #34
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
He hasn't been known as a bible thumper. He's an episcopalian which is a pretty liberal denomination. He speaks the bible thumper lingo to get votes in S. Carolina, but he's not really an evangelical or religious right. It's a shame to see what he did because he's about the last one left in the republican party that had any libertarian leanings whatsoever.
And if you are libertarian with Episcopalian leanings, that would explain why one could comfortably splice portions allegorically for a paramour.

I don't know anything about Sanford, except he's from South Carolina. Is he truly somewhat libertarian?

Then perhaps it was the Bible Thumpers' fault. They placed that Argentinian hottie in his path, knowing full well he could not resist, in order to bring about his downfall a la King David falling for the irresistable temptations of Bathsheba. Those evil, maniacal Bible Thumpers.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've not been able to make a full unreserved judgment about Sanford's actions due to not seeing a picture of his lover.

For example, I can unreservedly say that Dirk Nowitzki is an idiot.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #36
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I've not been able to make a full unreserved judgment about Sanford's actions due to not seeing a picture of his lover.

For example, I can unreservedly say that Dirk Nowitzki is an idiot.
The Daily Beast has a silent clip of her doing a news report on TV.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #37
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The Daily Beast has a silent clip of her doing a news report on TV.
So is she hot enough to make a fool of oneself?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #38
Archaea

hard to tell. She's in full attire.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-s...=cs:headline18

She does look Argentinian.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #39
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
And if you are libertarian with Episcopalian leanings, that would explain why one could comfortably splice portions allegorically for a paramour.

I don't know anything about Sanford, except he's from South Carolina. Is he truly somewhat libertarian?

Then perhaps it was the Bible Thumpers' fault. They placed that Argentinian hottie in his path, knowing full well he could not resist, in order to bring about his downfall a la King David falling for the irresistable temptations of Bathsheba. Those evil, maniacal Bible Thumpers.
He's very libertarian on economics. He pretty much is on the social side as well, but he opposes abortion and has a few other moderately conservative positions socially to keep that faction happy. He's definitely a small government kind of guy all around. I agree with Mike that his lying to the public should be the end of him politically. I just think it's a shame. He was mentioned as a presidential possibility and his political positions would have made him someone I could have voted for.

Last edited by BlueK; 06-30-2009 at 02:32 AM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #40
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
He's very libertarian on economics. He pretty much is on the social side as well, but he opposes abortion and has a few other moderately conservative positions socially to keep that faction happy. He's definitely a small government kind of guy all around. I agree with Mike that his lying to the public should be the end of him politically. I just think it's a shame. He was mentioned as a presidential possibility and his political positions would have made him someone I could have voted for.
Obama's lies don't end him politically.

Bill's lies don't end him, why should Sanford be any different?

I expect them to lie, but not to be caught so blatantly.