cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #31
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I agree that God likely doesn't interfere in daily aspects of our lives (nor do I think such interference is either needed or helpful).

On the other hand, God, knowing the end from the beginning, knows (IMO) the effects that this testimony will have on the futures of each individual in the classroom. Should that testimony be the pivotal thing in bringing even one individual back to him, I have few doubts that He would help her live for the sole purpose of bearing that testimony.

This, of course, leads to an interesting discussion on predestination, which I have no desire to have in this forum...so please, let's stay away from any what-if scenarios involving the timing of her death if she'd chosen different paths in her life...
THen why wouldn't he put on a miracle network show once a month or so to bring back thousands to him? I relaize I shouldn't be flip, but that is exactly why I doubt he does it, becaseu if you do it here, why not there? Why didn't he cause Mohammed to get killed in one of his thieving raids on a carvan (this was in his first career) so as to avoid this whole messy Islam thing which has certainly kept many people away from Him? I think we are here largely to work out our own salvation. He will buoy and assist, but I don't think he tinkers or dabbles like that.

I am not saying you are wrong, btw, just offering my opinion.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #32
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
THen why wouldn't he put on a miracle network show once a month or so to bring back thousands to him? I relaize I shouldn't be flip, but that is exactly why I doubt he does it, becaseu if you do it here, why not there? Why didn't he cause Mohammed to get killed in one of his thieving raids on a carvan (this was in his first career) so as to avoid this whole messy Islam thing which has certainly kept many people away from Him? I think we are here largely to work out our own salvation. He will buoy and assist, but I don't think he tinkers or dabbles like that.

I am not saying you are wrong, btw, just offering my opinion.
I wrote up a brilliant response, only to have it lost to the internet gods of mayhem...

So, my shorter summation:

-I would have to say that Islam has likely done much for the salvation of individuals, through many different means (humility, obedience to known laws, etc.)

-I've heard (and lived) so many 'mustard-seed moments' in my experience I find it hard to believe these daily events aren't orchestrated to some degree.

-I fully admit the high degree of possibility of the story being a simple coincidence.

-God had a specific purpose in mind for Joseph Smith. Why would He not have a purpose in mind for me or you? That's not to say the purpose lies in this life, or even that we'll die immediately after we 'fulfill' or 'fail' our purpose...

At any rate, I certainly understand the skepticism regarding this idea, and respect your position...
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #33
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Why is it I can't escape the feeling you've made this up?
Don't discourage him. Soonercougs stories are one of the best things on this site.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote