cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It means going to the Bishops and saying "I want one couple from each of your wards, and it is your job to go out and get them. Pray about it, and then call them saying the Lord wants them to go."

This is not quite the same thing as volunteering. This is accepting or declining a calling.
Hmm....okay, I can see the difference there. I would agree that fishing for couples is more aggressive than waiting for them to walk through the door.

However, I dont see a problem with extending invitations to to older couples if done tactfully. Some couples may not even be terribly aware that, as an older couple, you can basically call yourself to any place in the world you wish. I bet many are nervous that they would have to go to the third world.

I see your point, though.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #32
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Not entirely on topic, but my wife and I were just discussing the reasoning behind Christian morality in America being derived as much from the Republican party as it is from the Bible. Whatever their motivation was for teaming up with the party, they've sure swallowed the rest of it whole. For Mormons it's probably a little different, since they have motivation other than anti-abortion. They have a perceived reason for generally distrusting government and wanting it to be less powerful, although again that couldn't still be the motivation or they would have jumped ship on Bush first, not last (if they have yet at all).

The fervor with which many Christians speak of gays, terror, the death penalty, and capitalism while completely ignoring one of the most-emphasized principles in all the NT (helping the poor) makes one wonder if the average American Christian realizes how much of their morality is derived from the Republican platform, and how little from the Bible.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #33
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You're a genius.
I'm not saying being an activist doesn't have its role, but there are few Mormon activists in any realm of politics, save when the Church decides to become involved. Being politically active is not on the favorite list of Mormons, but I'm certain it happens from time to time. In fact, I've met a few and they, like Mike here, believe all Mormons should behave as they do.

Activism is just one small piece to the puzzle. Are Mormons satisfied with their contributions? I don't think so but let's look at the concerns.

Okay, I have work concerns of employment, managing employees, training, family, charity boards, a few charity boards, church activities, children's activities, and entertainment. Do I do enough? No. Am I satisfied, but I walk around knowing I haven't accomplished everything I wish, but frankly being a "community activist" is not high on my list and likely will never be. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #34
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Could the tithing structure be, in part, a reason why Mormons disfavor progressive taxes? I have had tithing cited to me numerous times as a reason for a flat tax.
I would get killed with a flat tax. Five kids, big mortgage, tithing.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #35
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

ACtivists tend to be young and single or married without kids. Mormons move on with their personal lives, which they are urged to do, and so move very quickly past the stage that tends to supply activiists. WIthin my experience most political activists or community activisits are either young or live a young person's lifestyle. LDS tend not to do that. If anything, most young LDS tend to live a middle aged person's lifestyle very early.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'll let you figure that out. Come back to me with some working definition and a valid statistical comparison.
I've read figures saying that Mormons donate more in tithes and in time to their churches, but I don't know that I've ever seen what % of that time and money find their way to communities in the form of service.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #37
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've read figures saying that Mormons donate more in tithes and in time to their churches, but I don't know that I've ever seen what % of that time and money find their way to communities in the form of service.
I guess the LDS community doesn't count somehow?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Mormons don't count as poor, because they're all rich psychiatrists, accountants and impoverished, deservedly so, attorneys.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Not in terms of the metrics I am talking about.

Going to ward council is not the kind of service I am talking about.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #40
FMCoug

FMCoug

You're making a typical liberal assumption. Which is that not wanting the government to take your money and create programs to help the poor equals not wanting to help the poor at all.

Just because I think it should be voluntary and that forced charity <> charity does not mean I don't think the poor deserve help.