cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #31
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Like all good stereotypes, there is an element of truth. And a bigger element of exaggeration.

I used to live in Texas. Everyone loved to bash on Utah Mormons. It was the official ward blood sport. But all of the worst Utah basher have since moved to Utah. Every single one. Such irony.

Texas is great. Where do you live?
Dallas area. And I can't think of any reason why I'd return to live in Utah right now.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Exceedingly well expressed.
Opinion expressed by and agreed to by two people that didn't actually attend BYU. :-P
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #33
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Dallas area. And I can't think of any reason why I'd return to live in Utah right now.
I have no desire to return to Utah, but it has nothing to do with Utah Mormons. I'd move back to Castle Rock in a New York minute if I could telecommute.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #34
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I live in Dallas as well. I am having a debate over this question right now. I received a really good job offer in Utah, but I don't know if I want to move back. I love the mountains, rivers, and lakes, but have never had a desire to live in Utah. The thing is Dallas sucks.... if you look at the landscape, but for some reason I love it. I really can't think of a good reason why I like it here, but I do.

By the way... I have never heard Texans bash Utah... we live in our own little world, and Utah isn't really part of it.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #35
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
The thing is Dallas sucks.... if you look at the landscape, but for some reason I love it. I really can't think of a good reason why I like it here, but I do.
We've been here for almost 8 years now and love it. The funny thing is that peopl like to bash Texans more than Texas itself. Someone on one of these boards said something like "Texas would be okay if it weren't for the Texans". I have found the opposite to be true. The thing we like best about it here is the people/culture (religious, family-oriented, down to earth, etc.).

But I do miss the outdoors stuff out west. Have to drive a long way here to get to anywhere truly fun. We do the boating and camping thing here but it's not the same as when we have a week and can go out west.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #36
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I have no desire to return to Utah, but it has nothing to do with Utah Mormons. I'd move back to Castle Rock in a New York minute if I could telecommute.
The primary reasons for me not moving back would probably be economics related. I can make more money and do better in my field where I am and I like not having to grossly overpay for real estate. The other reasons are there, but they're secondary. Utah County is lovely, but too many wackos (ie., the member of the Utah house who states publicly that the immigration problem is the work of the devil, etc.) SL County has fewer of those nutjobs but has the Mormon vs. non-Mormon paranoia. I'd love to be able to have season tickets to BYU football and basketball though.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #37
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Someone on one of these boards said something like "Texas would be okay if it weren't for the Texans". I have found the opposite to be true. The thing we like best about it here is the people/culture (religious, family-oriented, down to earth, etc.).
That was our experience. We loved Texans. Still do.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #38
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
They'd have an identity crisis that all the psych majors in Austin couldn't handle. (There are no psych majors at aTm--they actually train productive members of society at aTm.)
Watch it, buddy.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #39
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Opinion expressed by and agreed to by two people that didn't actually attend BYU. :-P
But you're wrong. I did attend BYU.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #40
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If Texans keep it up with the big heads, Alaska will split in two and make the the third largest state. They'd have an identity crisis that all the psych majors in Austin couldn't handle. (There are no psych majors at aTm--they actually train productive members of society at aTm.)
Psych majors get the most women...