cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #31
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Having a lesser degree of sexual desire than the average; lacking in sexual feelings or desire, uninterested in sexual gratification
THANK YOU. I've been trying to track down an OED and I was thwarted on every front. I like your style.

Is that the unabridged and is that the only definition?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #32
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I don't use answers.com. I imagine answers.com and I used the same source, though.
You can use dictionary.com or any other, since the meaning of the word is going to be the same.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #33
TripletDaddy

Quote:
From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Having a lesser degree of sexual desire than the average; lacking in sexual feelings or desire, uninterested in sexual gratification
This doesnt support BG's definition at all.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #34
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This doesnt support BG's definition at all.
Right. That's why I was trying to track down access to an OED. It's authoritative. Those others aren't. (oh, and btw, the online dictionaries are not all going to have the same definitions. They're all over the place.) It's awfully rare for an unabridged OED to have only one definition for a word, but either way this definition is clearly not how I was using it.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #35
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Right. That's why I was trying to track down access to an OED. It's authoritative. Those others aren't. (oh, and btw, the online dictionaries are not all going to have the same definitions. They're all over the place.) It's awfully rare for an unabridged OED to have only one definition for a word, but either way this definition is clearly not how I was using it.
I think you were clearly under-confident in your usage.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #36
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I think you were clearly under-confident in your usage.
I clearly didn't know what the word means.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #37
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
THANK YOU. I've been trying to track down an OED and I was thwarted on every front. I like your style.

Is that the unabridged and is that the only definition?
It's the online version based on the 20-volume 2nd edition that I can access through our library. For the low annual price of $295, you too can have access to the online OED. Or you can buy the print edition for $895. Or you can call me and have me look it up for you for free.

It's the only definition for 'undersexed. Here's the quotation tab:

Quote:
1931 J. S. HUXLEY What dare I Think? ii. 61 Grafts and extracts of the reproductive glands have been used successfully in under-sexed cases. 1947 ‘N. BLAKE’ Minute for Murder ix. 207 Alice simply wouldn't understand the feeling of all-for-love. She's madly civilised. And she's under-sexed. 1965 Mod. Law Rev. XXVIII. v. 606 To use the words of the learned judge, ‘the husband was undersexed’. 1972 H. J. EYSENCK Psychology is about People ii. 88 The introvert..is slightly ‘under-sexed’, but again not unhealthily so.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #38
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
WHAT??? We're relying on a thirty-five-year old useage of the word?? This is ludacris.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #39
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WHAT??? We're relying on a thirty-five-year old useage of the word?? This is ludacris.
That's pretty funny.

On the flip side, here's the definition for "oversexed"

Quote:
[< OVER- prefix + SEXED adj.]

Having unusually strong sexual desires; highly sexually active; possessing excessive sexual characteristics. Also fig.
And the quotations (often a good source for unintentional humor):

Quote:
1898 C. P. STETSON Women & Econ. iii. 44 The secretion of milk is a maternal function, - a sex function. The cow is over-sexed. 1923 C. MACKENZIE Parson's Progress viii. 95 Nobody questions the ethical value of Christianity except a few oversexed egomaniacs. 1939 R. E. BABER Marriage & Family ix. 273 For centuries it was thought that woman had relatively limited sex desire... Any abandonment of inhibitions supposedly denoted an ‘oversexed’ nature and was an attribute of the courtesan. 1953 Encounter Nov. 31/1 Y. is the political equivalent of a nymphomaniac... This kind of neurosis..flourishes chiefly in the climate of the Left - for, generally speaking, the Left is politically over-sexed. 1991 Brewer's Twentieth Cent. Phrase & Fable 456/1 Over-paid, over-fed, over-sexed, and over here, a much-repeated catchphrase of World War II, referring to the presence of US forces in the UK. 1991 Outrage Feb. 70/4 (advt.) Good looking, oversexed local guy... Tall, hung and always hard.
Archaea - is that last quotation from Outrage one of your personal ads?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #40
TripletDaddy

Quote:
That's pretty funny.

On the flip side, here's the definition for "oversexed"

And the quotations (often a good source for unintentional humor):

Archaea - is that last quotation from Outrage one of your personal ads?
This would not be the first time Archaea was observed to be oversexed. But unfortunately I cannot provide a link at this time. boo.