cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

So tell me...was this your final clinching refutation of simple 2nd grade logic (classic Tex by the way--"I've already answered this...go find it. Never mind that no one seems satisfied by that answer..."
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=150

Or was it this one?
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=152

Yeah, you sure showed everyone. Issue settled.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
So tell me...was this your final clinching refutation of simple 2nd grade logic (classic Tex by the way--"I've already answered this...go find it. Never mind that no one seems satisfied by that answer..."
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=150

Or was it this one?
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=152

Yeah, you sure showed everyone. Issue settled.
ER, you're becoming unhinged. That first link has nothing to do with gay-by-birth. It's about a comparison OrangeUte didn't like of homosexuality to other personal challenges.

That second link is meant as a joke ... a play on the words flaunt, flout, flauta, etc. and is completely unrelated.

If you're going to beat your chest, at least try to stay focused.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
ER, you're becoming unhinged. That first link has nothing to do with gay-by-birth. It's about a comparison OrangeUte didn't like of homosexuality to other personal challenges.

That second link is meant as a joke ... a play on the words flaunt, flout, flauta, etc. and is completely unrelated.

If you're going to beat your chest, at least try to stay focused.
Oh brother...I've been through this non-responding, dodging routine with you before...

You know very well that the first link was your second-to-last response to the point that "Very few people would choose the gay lifestyle"; the second post, while I posted it in jest, was your final response. Neither very convincing, despite the ease with which this argument is apparently refuted.

I'm not playing these games with you anymore. It's a complete waste of time (as opposed to a semi-complete waste of time that all other discussions on here are...).
Old 11-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Oh brother...I've been through this non-responding, dodging routine with you before...

You know very well that the first link was your second-to-last response to the point that "Very few people would choose the gay lifestyle"; the second post, while I posted it in jest, was your final response. Neither very convincing, despite the ease with which this argument is apparently refuted.

I'm not playing these games with you anymore. It's a complete waste of time (as opposed to a semi-complete waste of time that all other discussions on here are...).
Like all of us, Tex sometimes steps in a pile of shit with his opinions. Unlike the rest of us he refuses to recognize the smell and get the shit off of his shoes. He keeps trying to dance around the fact his shoes stink.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nice dodge.

Tex gets worked over on this argument in another thread only to come to this one claiming "2nd grade logic at its finest". I don't deny it's 2nd grade logic. Yup, my 2nd grade son would understand this point and move on.
Tex does a good job defending himself, so mine is just an observation, he did not get worked over by anyone with an opposing view. We are just not going to agree on this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Like all of us, Tex sometimes steps in a pile of shit with his opinions. Unlike the rest of us he refuses to recognize the smell and get the shit off of his shoes. He keeps trying to dance around the fact his shoes stink.
I believe being gay is a choice, I have no fecal matter on my shoes, and yes my IQ is greater than 50.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
Tex does a good job defending himself, so mine is just an observation, he did not get worked over by anyone with an opposing view. We are just not going to agree on this issue.

I believe being gay is a choice, I have no fecal matter on my shoes, and yes my IQ is greater than 50.

It is tough to have open and real conversations between groups when one group or the other is bound up in ignorant assumptions.

Like a Priest they can choose to abstain, but they can't choose to be attracted to a feemale over a male.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
cougarobgon

Quote:
It is tough to have open and real conversations between groups when one group or the other is bound up in ignorant assumptions.

Like a Priest they can choose to abstain, but they can't choose to be attracted to a feemale over a male.
What about those that are attracted to both males or females? I posted that in a separate thread and it was ignored and rightly so, by then we had hashed and rehashed the issue. But my question is a legitimate one, were these guys born gay or straight?

Ignorant assumptions? Come on, you can't dismiss my beliefs as ignorant assumptions...
Old 11-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
BYU71

Quote:
What about those that are attracted to both males or females? I posted that in a separate thread and it was ignored and rightly so, by then we had hashed and rehashed the issue. But my question is a legitimate one, were these guys born gay or straight?

Ignorant assumptions? Come on, you can't dismiss my beliefs as ignorant assumptions...
Those that go both ways may be have been born that way or an aquired taste. What I am saying is that anyone who claims that "NO" gays are born that way are speaking from ignorance. I thought you said that, but maybe I misunderstood you.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
cougarobgon

Quote:
Those that go both ways may be have been born that way or an aquired taste. What I am saying is that anyone who claims that "NO" gays are born that way are speaking from ignorance. I thought you said that, but maybe I misunderstood you.
In other posts I have mentioned that I have never known a gay individual that I would consider to have been born gay or at least that they expressed to me that they were born gay. I have interacted with gays in the work place, neighborhood kids I grew up with, church counseling. I will admit, my experience has been limited and the sample pool is minute, but, that interaction and my belief in the creation of man and the existence of God, has led conclude that gay people choose to be gay.

I will acknowledge that our bodies are complex and our genetic make up I am sure can affect how we think, what we feel, etc...the environment can also affect how people choose to live their lives. However, the bottom line is that an individual still has to make a choice to live a gay lifestyle, a lifestyle that is not consistent with God's teachings.

Prop 8 was not about deciding whether or not one was born or chose to be gay. It was about gay marriage. I was in favor of prop 8 not because of my belief that people choose to be gay, rather, it was that I did not want to legitimize behavior that I consider to be contrary to God's teachings. Marriage is the "crown jewel" for homosexuality and the debate is not over.

I am done with this topic.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
ERCougar

Quote:
In other posts I have mentioned that I have never known a gay individual that I would consider to have been born gay or at least that they expressed to me that they were born gay. I have interacted with gays in the work place, neighborhood kids I grew up with, church counseling. I will admit, my experience has been limited and the sample pool is minute, but, that interaction and my belief in the creation of man and the existence of God, has led conclude that gay people choose to be gay.

I will acknowledge that our bodies are complex and our genetic make up I am sure can affect how we think, what we feel, etc...the environment can also affect how people choose to live their lives. However, the bottom line is that an individual still has to make a choice to live a gay lifestyle, a lifestyle that is not consistent with God's teachings.

Prop 8 was not about deciding whether or not one was born or chose to be gay. It was about gay marriage. I was in favor of prop 8 not because of my belief that people choose to be gay, rather, it was that I did not want to legitimize behavior that I consider to be contrary to God's teachings. Marriage is the "crown jewel" for homosexuality and the debate is not over.

I am done with this topic.
I'm assuming you're talking about your interactions with members as a bishop. In these cases, no, I don't doubt that they're going to claim to be born that way--they're hoping to change. This is not a representative sample of gay people.

I'll agree with you that it's a choice to live the lifestyle. But that's not the question. The question is can they fundamentally change their sexuality at their core. In most cases, I doubt it.

Whether or not they have gay sex isn't what makes them gay. Would you have considered yourself neutral up until the point you had sex?