cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think there was a reason someone felt compelled to generate such a book. I've been advocating encyclicals on such things as the priesthood ban for a long time.
There is now an Encyclopedia Mormondom or something like that.

But what is really needed is a thorough and scholarly work of Mormon hermeneutics such we see alluded to by Ben Witherington, III, http://benwitherington.blogspot.com/...xed-bible.html,
we could approach or better approach theological subjects.

You could put Mauss, Dr. Peters, Dr. Bushman, perhaps Ostler, Kevin Barney and a few others to help establish Mormon Hermeneutics.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #32
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Tsk, tsk, Tex. Low hanging fruit.
I love the reviews on the book at that site. 14 total reviews. 12 of them give 5 stars, 2 give 4 stars.

Some of the more interesting quotes from the reviews:

Quote:
Highly controversial in some circles because of the author's opinionated writing style it is nevertheless so well grounded in the scriptures and the revelations of Joseph Smith that it inspires as well as the scriptures themselves. It is one of very few books of which the Holy Ghost has testified to me.
Quote:
Elder McConkie is one of the few legendary scholars that the LDS church has produced and to regard his work as flawed simply because some topics have become "politically incorrect" is a ridiculous assumption.
Quote:
Besides all the supports the spirit will bear witness to you of the truth of the book.
Quote:
It was written by an apostle, a man ordained to be a prophet, seer, and revelator. Nothing he wrote was conjecture.
Quote:
I highly recommend Mormon Doctrine to young and old as a constant and ready guide to the Word of God.
Also, a five-star review by an evangelical:
Quote:
I found this book very helpful in defining Mormon beliefs on every subject imaginable. It is helpful in defining fallacies as stated by the LDS church. Even though it is not stated as such it also makes clear distinctions between Evangelical Christianity and LDS beliefs.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #33
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
There is now an Encyclopedia Mormondom or something like that.

But what is really needed is a thorough and scholarly work of Mormon hermeneutics such we see alluded to by Ben Witherington, III, http://benwitherington.blogspot.com/...xed-bible.html,
we could approach or better approach theological subjects.

You could put Mauss, Dr. Peters, Dr. Bushman, perhaps Ostler, Kevin Barney and a few others to help establish Mormon Hermeneutics.
Enclyclicals are signed by the Pope. Not the same thing as you describe.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #34
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Enclyclicals are signed by the Pope. Not the same thing as you describe.
Baby steps, baby steps.

Our leaders are administrators and business people first, not theologians. Perhaps they would be best to delegate that in which they do not specialize.