cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #21
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

I will not apologize for seeking out and endeavoring to extend the blessings of salvation to my ancestry. No man, group or organization has the right to frustrate or deny me access to my heritage.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #22
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
QUOTE=Jeff Lebowski;49513]Yes, and that is clearly the intent of the church, based on their public statements.

On the other hand, if a vocal and passionate minority within each religion protests the practice, should the church abandon it altogether? Where do you draw the line?

That's a cheap shot. You think they should just sprinkle some holy water and the problem is solved? We don't even have the database for our own ancestors' records fully automated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair
I don't think they have to abandon it. Just be honest and say, "We respect your concerns. However, we feel this is our duty. If your ancestors don't accept it, it's as if it never happened." Basically a polite way to say we're going to do it anyway.

If Holy water would help, I'm all for it. We claim to have revelation. Let's act on it. Maybe GBH could hop on the phone with God (or however revelation works) and get an answer straight from him. If that's not possible, they need to create workable solution no matter how cumbersome it is. We do baptismal interviews for converts. Perhaps we need an interview for those submitting names. I don't know what the answer is. Then again, I'm not the one that made the promise.
Your criticisms are hollow and disrespectful of the Lord's annointed. Each and every member of the church is responsible for the successful understanding and application of revelation ... the failure to act on all revelation rests with the body of the church.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

No unhallowed hand can stop the work....except for media-savvy Jews?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #24
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No unhallowed hand can stop the work....except for media-savvy Jews?
Thankfully there will be a millennium in there somewhere where all of these details get worked out.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:36 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Since when does the church have to be politically correct at the whims of those who CHOOSE to be offended?

Political correctness is for pussies who get offended, but yet have no problem offending in return.

Political correctness in every sense of the word is the biggest fake B.S. hypocrisy snowjob ever perpetrated.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:55 PM   #26
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Apparently, a religious institution (Judaism) has a stronger claim to your ancestry than you do.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Since when does the church have to be politically correct at the whims of those who CHOOSE to be offended?

Political correctness is for pussies who get offended, but yet have no problem offending in return.

Political correctness in every sense of the word is the biggest fake B.S. hypocrisy snowjob ever perpetrated.
I couldn't agree more Rocky.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yes, I think that was the original concern. But if I recall correctly, the agreement extended to all Jews.
Many Jews were murdered by Christians in the centuries before the Holocost.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:35 PM   #29
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

What you call being political correct, other people simply call being respectful. Is it really that big of an inconvenience to try to not offend other people?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #30
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
What you call being political correct, other people simply call being respectful. Is it really that big of an inconvenience to try to not offend other people?
Those who live under the fake shroud of political correctness are for the most part hypocrites.

There's common sense in being respectful and then there's the extreme nature of politically correct nazis who choose to bristle at the mere mention of anything they perceive as insensitive to them or others.

Of course if you call them on this in reverse they can't smell what they shovel.

Bottom line: Yes there are others who seek to offend and get reactions, but for the most part people get offended because they choose to be offended. Those who choose to be offended,,,they're the ones with the problems.