cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Our bishop is CES, and although he would speak the rhetoric, he is very practical.

He doesn't make broad pronouncements, he doesn't act like a mullah, and he is genuinely a good bishop. He may come across boring but he's just cautious.

IOW, he's pragmatic.
I too know many people who work for the church. I don't consider them to be mullahs in any way shape or form. However, more than one of them tell me they are careful to watch their step as fanatics are more prevelant as associates than you would find in the normal work environment.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I definitely could be wrong. I am just assuming that "reporting" wrong doing in the CES is different than "reporting" wrong doing in multi-billion dollar corporations.

Perhaps your comparisons are fairer and all this is is whistle blowing on people who are committing fraud at both places.
What sorts of opportunities do CES have to commit fraud? It's not as if they are in control of huge prospectives, public offerings, or sales of goods and services?

What sorts of opportunities do they have to commit harassment? Probably some.

It sounds like more of a narkonhimline.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #23
Archaea

Quote:
I too know many people who work for the church. I don't consider them to be mullahs in any way shape or form. However, more than one of them tell me they are careful to watch their step as fanatics are more prevelant as associates than you would find in the normal work environment.
That sounds plausible. Ours doesn't really seem to work the church culture, but rather does his job, lives his faith and moves around without much fanfare.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #24
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What sorts of opportunities do CES have to commit fraud? It's not as if they are in control of huge prospectives, public offerings, or sales of goods and services?

What sorts of opportunities do they have to commit harassment? Probably some.

It sounds like more of a narkonhimline.
I am just giving Indy the benefit of the doubt.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #25
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I definitely could be wrong. I am just assuming that "reporting" wrong doing in the CES is different than "reporting" wrong doing in multi-billion dollar corporations.
I don't think you are wrong and I can give you a recent example. Another friend who teaches at BYU-I was recently called in and told that they would be giving him early retirement from the college. The reason I've been told is because he has run up some gambling debts out at the golf course and someone reported this to the administration. I haven't had a chance myself to talk to him but the people I heard this from are pretty reliable.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #26
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I don't think you are wrong and I can give you a recent example. Another friend who teaches at BYU-I was recently called in and told that they would be giving him early retirement from the college. The reason I've been told is because he has run up some gambling debts out at the golf course and someone reported this to the administration. I haven't had a chance myself to talk to him but the people I heard this from are pretty reliable.
Are you sh...g me? I hope this is unverifiable rumor.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #27
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Man, if anybody is considering working for the Church or BYU, this should clinch your decision to stay as far away as possible.

It's one thing to face some form of Church discipline for what I consider a minor sin like gambling, but to also lose your job? Ridiculous.

Last edited by CardiacCoug; 07-07-2008 at 10:07 PM.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #28
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

This is kind of a silly argument to me. I am sure there are very good people involved in CES, just as there are brown-nosing mullahs. There are very good people in multi-billion dollar corporations, just as there are brown-nosing a-holes.

I'm sure there are a myriad of examples of each of these extremes (as well as of many more in between).

To me, there is additional concern with a narc-line in CES, because the tendrils of the church's control go far beyond that of a normal corporation into the private and spiritual lives of CES employees. For people who value privacy, that is a significant issue.

What is there really to debate?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #29
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

We have such a hotline at our firm for the same reasons Jay outlined.

They are pretty common.

My guess is that it is more as a CYA for the Church than to actually encourage people to call. If you are sued, you have done your due diligence by giving employees an anonymous avenue to report abuse/improprieties.

Since I have never known anyone to be disciplined for drinking cola or not going to FHE, I doubt it would matter if someone called it and reported it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote