cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #21
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Here in dallas, most of the foreclosures are among the white middle class that bought houses beyond what they could afford.

The houses in my relatively modest, mixed-race neighborhood are not being foreclosed on.

But the pro-bailout forces will tell you it is all poor people.
Which is why this has gotten so much traction. I have a sneaking suspicion there are some politicians who have unwisely speculated.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:54 AM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I'm primarily putting the blame on the mortgage companies. They should be smart enough to know do sufficient risk assessment to know what problems their underwriting guidelines were exposing themselves to. And I don't give a crap what pressures so-called government representatives were putting on them.

There was a feeding frenzy in the low interest rate environment and the hyper-competitivity led to wholesale stupidity.

Sincerely,

An actuary who is very familiar with risk assessment
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 AM   #23
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Yes, I'm primarily putting the blame on the mortgage companies. They should be smart enough to know do sufficient risk assessment to know what problems their underwriting guidelines were exposing themselves to. And I don't give a crap what pressures so-called government representatives were putting on them.

There was a feeding frenzy in the low interest rate environment and the hyper-competitivity led to wholesale stupidity.

Sincerely,

An actuary who is very familiar with risk assessment
what about the fact that a lot of people fibbed that their income was higher than it actually was?

http://www.slate.com/id/2189576
Old 05-15-2008, 01:14 AM   #24
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
what about the fact that a lot of people fibbed that their income was higher than it actually was?

On my first mortgage, in 2000, I had to prove my income. On my last loan, they didn't even ask me to document. I couldn't believe it was so easy to get a mortgage. Of course, I made sure to get a fixed-rate mortgage and made dang sure I could afford the before I closed.

As your Slate article states, a "liars loan" is:

Quote:
The term is mortgage-industry slang for what's more formally called a "stated income" mortgage—a mortgage that a lender gives without checking tax returns, employment history, or pretty much anything else.
People can fib all they want - the mortgage companies should have verified if they didn't want the risk. They accepted the risk of non-verified income loans, they should live with the consequences. I love the logic of bail-out supporters:

- It's not the fault of individual borrowers - it's the fault of predatory lenders
- It's not the fault of lenders - it's the fault of individuals lying about their income
- It's not the fault of XYZ, it's the fault of ABC - ad infinitum.

I just don't understand the constant search for someone/something to blame and for someone/something to bail out.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:15 AM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

Isn't that what underwriting is all about? You get all the pertinent information (credit history, W-2s, 1040s, etc. etc. etc.) you need to determine what kind of risk you have. Face it, no matter how stupid, dishonest or naive the general public was, if mortgage companies had the proper procedures and controls in place, they could have stopped a lot of these problems before they ever began.

Quote:
It's the story of the liar's loan.

The term is mortgage-industry slang for what's more formally called a "stated income" mortgage—a mortgage that a lender gives without checking tax returns, employment history, or pretty much anything else. Many of the loans that are in trouble now, or will be in trouble soon, fall into this category. But the term gives only the barest hint of the pervasive failure involved.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 05-15-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 AM   #26
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

deja vu
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote