cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #21
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Let me find Dr. Reeve's email so you can ask him yourself. I'm sure he'll remember it.

It amazes me that the two biggest believers in the Old Testament on CG are the biggest doubters when it comes to real life events.
Ironic, considering that everything on the Internet is true.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #22
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Again, the exact purposes are impossible to determine. It's likely more productive to consider the effects the event had on your personal relationship with the spirit...

So, is this your first time on a message board? "Productive" really has little to do with why anything gets posted.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #23
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
It was a cat, actually. Check it out here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959718/

Or, if you prefer, google "Oscar the death-sensing cat".
Thanks for the correction. As I age, things get fuzzier and fuzzier. Dogs for cats is one thing, when I start confusing $100 bills for $1 bills will be quite another.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #24
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's likely more productive to consider the effects the event had on your personal relationship with the spirit...
It taught me not to be religiose.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #25
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
So, is this your first time on a message board? "Productive" really has little to do with why anything gets posted.
lol. Hardly my first time. Still, in matters of personal spiritual enlightenment, one can still hold out hope....
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #26
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapert View Post
Thanks for the correction. As I age, things get fuzzier and fuzzier. Dogs for cats is one thing, when I start confusing $100 bills for $1 bills will be quite another.
That is certainly one step in the process. Another, as my grandfather found out a few years before his death, is burning weeds on your farm, and forgetting to save a path to remove yourself...
Old 02-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #27
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
It taught me not to be religiose.
That's an interesting response to the events. Do you expect a repeat involving your own heart condition, and fear the resulting departure from your ability to post on Cougarguard?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #28
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That argument held considerably less value than this one. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I doubt premonition, defined as a glimpse of a future event, had anything to do with the sharing of her testimony.

That's not to say that the testimony wasn't inspired by God, and that it wasn't a special event. In fact, given the particulars of the story, it's not unlikely that God allowed the girl to live SPECIFICALLY FOR that testimony.

Again, the exact purposes are impossible to determine. It's likely more productive to consider the effects the event had on your personal relationship with the spirit...

I tend to think that God does not orchestrate things to this degree. IMO, it is unlikely that God would intervene in someone's life (which will dramatically affect her family, friends, acquaintances as well as her own journey in life) just for some particular event. Have you ever read Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany"? While I love the book, this sort of destiny is very unlikely in my mind. I chalk it up to sheer coincidence.

I think it is more likely that she may have become a more spiritual person as a result of her struggles, and as she tended to seek to do the will of God (that is to act in a manner consonant with his desires; indeed to act like she was Him), she therefore tended to also do His will and thus touch others with whom she had contact in this way. What was a singular event of note for Soonercoug was the result of a person he didn't previously know who was directed by the spirit to share. The coincidence of her death made the memory more distinct. I suspect, however, that he has had other spiritual experiences that were equally strong but because they weren't accompanied by some dramatic event such as a death, don't linger in the mind as long. Such is human nature, which we need to try to overcome.

This is, of course, just my opinion and is all speculation.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #29
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I suspect, however, that he has had other spiritual experiences that were equally strong but because they weren't accompanied by some dramatic event such as a death, don't linger in the mind as long.
I agree. I wouldn't have remembered what she said if she hadn't died.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #30
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I tend to think that God does not orchestrate things to this degree. IMO, it is unlikely that God would intervene in someone's life (which will dramatically affect her family, friends, acquaintances as well as her own journey in life) just for some particular event. Have you ever read Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany"? While I love the book, this sort of destiny is very unlikely in my mind. I chalk it up to sheer coincidence.

I think it is more likely that she may have become a more spiritual person as a result of her struggles, and as she tended to seek to do the will of God (that is to act in a manner consonant with his desires; indeed to act like she was Him), she therefore tended to also do His will and thus touch others with whom she had contact in this way. What was a singular event of note for Soonercoug was the result of a person he didn't previously know who was directed by the spirit to share. The coincidence of her death made the memory more distinct. I suspect, however, that he has had other spiritual experiences that were equally strong but because they weren't accompanied by some dramatic event such as a death, don't linger in the mind as long. Such is human nature, which we need to try to overcome.

This is, of course, just my opinion and is all speculation.

I agree that God likely doesn't interfere in daily aspects of our lives (nor do I think such interference is either needed or helpful).

On the other hand, God, knowing the end from the beginning, knows (IMO) the effects that this testimony will have on the futures of each individual in the classroom. Should that testimony be the pivotal thing in bringing even one individual back to him, I have few doubts that He would help her live for the sole purpose of bearing that testimony.

This, of course, leads to an interesting discussion on predestination, which I have no desire to have in this forum...so please, let's stay away from any what-if scenarios involving the timing of her death if she'd chosen different paths in her life...