cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 03:51 AM   #21
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm not utopian. I think actually it would disappoint the Sharpton types. It's really a line for the whites: Who needs affirmative action? A black man has been elected president. On the other hand, if he's a decent president maybe the racists will learn something.
I don't know Seattle. I suspect the Sharpton types (Sharpton resonates much more with the black community that Obama could ever wish to) will probably see Obama as a half-black man that was elected by whites to do the whites' bidding. The black underclass won't go away because the problems that plague the community will not go away. I doubt Obama has very much street cred with these people. Indeed, perhaps the pressure and expectations would be so high that Obama could never even get close to satisfying the black communty.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:53 AM   #22
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I doubt Obama has very much street cred with these people. Indeed, perhaps the pressure and expectations would be so high that Obama could never even get close to satisfying the black communty.
It's much like Hillary pisses off many feminists for getting where she is on her husband's name. In many ways it's an affront to feminism.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:57 AM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I don't know Seattle. I suspect the Sharpton types (Sharpton resonates much more with the black community that Obama could ever wish to) will probably see Obama as a half-black man that was elected by whites to do the whites' bidding. The black underclass won't go away because the problems that plague the community will not go away. I doubt Obama has very much street cred with these people. Indeed, perhaps the pressure and expectations would be so high that Obama could never even get close to satisfying the black communty.
Like I said, he isn't really a "black" candidate. And I think Hitchins needs a hug.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 AM   #24
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Like I said, he isn't really a "black" candidate. And I think Hitchins needs a hug.
I'd hug him but I'm afraid that coming in contact with his sweat is against the WOW.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:08 AM   #25
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I'd hug him but I'm afraid that coming in contact with his sweat is against the WOW.
You can't do it now. I'm sure he's passed out hours ago.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-08-2008, 04:52 AM   #26
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
will he be treated with kid gloves by the media through his presidence for fear of being accused of being racist? Will the Al Sharpton's of the world cry racism over valid criticisim of his performance?
Obama transcends race. He is not completely accepted by African Americans as being one of them, yet they will support him. He is accepted & supported by many whites not because he is black or bi-racial, but because he is "race less". All the toxicity of past race relations sort of evaporates as being not just secondary, but curiously irrelevant.

Obama likely won't fall into the predictable bait-counter race dynamics we've seen before. Sharpton won't / can't reflexively come to Obama's defense because he doesn't fully support him as being part of *that* cause.

It's not like Jesse Jackson running for the presidency. Obama is not a black man running for president - he's an American running for president who happens to be black.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #27
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
Obama transcends race. He is not completely accepted by African Americans as being one of them, yet they will support him. He is accepted & supported by many whites not because he is black or bi-racial, but because he is "race less". All the toxicity of past race relations sort of evaporates as being not just secondary, but curiously irrelevant.

Obama likely won't fall into the predictable bait-counter race dynamics we've seen before. Sharpton won't / can't reflexively come to Obama's defense because he doesn't fully support him as being part of *that* cause.

It's not like Jesse Jackson running for the presidency. Obama is not a black man running for president - he's an American running for president who happens to be black.
It would be nice to say something similar about Romney -that he's an American running for president who happens to be a Mormon
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #28
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
It would be nice to say something similar about Romney -that he's an American running for president who happens to be a Mormon
Romney eliminated that possiblity when he gave his speech verifying his belief in Jesus, etc. He actually is a study in contrast to Obama. Romney has run as a "Christian" like Jackson ran as a black. This may be the reason he is in free fall. Romney is to blame for people factoring his religion into the decision whether to vote for him.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #29
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Romney is to blame for people factoring his religion into the decision whether to vote for him.
This may be the LOL Comment of the Day.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #30
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This may be the LOL Comment of the Day.
No matter how you look at it my comment is indubitably true.

—Paul Auster