cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Didn't mean for my question to be accusing towards you. It was a general question for any of what I would guess is the majority of the church that would respond in a similar manner to many in this thread. Sadly, my initial thought was to answer the same way. The guilt/works theme in the church grinds you down so hard that Jesus becomes someone we fear. Takes a lot to undo that.
Some days I doubt there is much kind he could find to say about me, or many others. I don't need to be reminded in my guilt, as sometimes it's nice to forget for a moment, what a slouch one is.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Undoubtedly some people are too unforgiving of themselves and/or deny the power of the Atonement; others are just very honest and accurate in diagnosing their current state of affairs.

There are times I'd like to think I'm on the right track, but it's hard to be too complacent because I screw up all the time and have left some things unimproved for a very long time.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #23
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I bet the the rich kid told to sell all his stuff felt inadequate.
I thought of that one, actually. And that's a good counter example. But I do find it a lot different than the context of what we're talking about here.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #24
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I thought of that one, actually. And that's a good counter example. But I do find it a lot different than the context of what we're talking about here.
In the Second Testament, those who felt good about themselves often walked away feeling crummy and those who were downtrodden felt some relief. So if I hedge my bets and always feel crummy about myself, the odds improve that I might feel a litle relief.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #25
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
In the Second Testament, those who felt good about themselves often walked away feeling crummy and those who were downtrodden felt some relief. So if I hedge my bets and always feel crummy about myself, the odds improve that I might feel a litle relief.
There's a good lesson in this. I don't think it was how they felt about themselves, but how much they needed the Savior. If you need him, you're good to go. If you're pretty good already and don't need him so much, you're in trouble.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #26
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I agree with some of what Jay has said. I understand that I have a lot to improve on, but I don't understand why anyone would fear to see the Lord. If I had the choice, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #27
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I don't know that it really has to be all one or the other. It's a paradox consistent throughout the doctrine.

Observe:

Mosiah 2:21: "... if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants."
Mosiah 4:5: "...if the knowledge of the goodness of God at this time has awakened you to a sense of your anothingness, and your worthless and fallen state—"

And:

D&C 18:10: "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;"

Or take for example the paradox of being humble and actually recognizing that you're humble (hat tip to Screwtape Letters).

Recognizing your position on the "ladder" (for lack of a better image), how far you've come and still how far you have left to go, is a part of maturing in the gospel. I don't know how I would feel in the presence of God--I'm sure it would a strange combination of guilt and delight.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #28
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I agree with some of what Jay has said. I understand that I have a lot to improve on, but I don't understand why anyone would fear to see the Lord. If I had the choice, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Think of the burden you shoulder from there on out.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #29
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Think of the burden you shoulder from there on out.
Interesting point, and not one I think we talk about all the time. I think we often hear something to the effect of how could Laban and Lemuel be so bad after seeing angels. I think it would be surprisingly easy.

Nor do I think that any of the prophets who saw God led perfect lives after words. My point is that I think we ought to give them credit for the phenomenal burden that would be to carry. I don't very often anyway.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:51 PM   #30
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Interesting point, and not one I think we talk about all the time. I think we often hear something to the effect of how could Laban and Lemuel be so bad after seeing angels. I think it would be surprisingly easy.

Nor do I think that any of the prophets who saw God led perfect lives after words. My point is that I think we ought to give them credit for the phenomenal burden that would be to carry. I don't very often anyway.
I do not claim to be worthy to meet C. now. In fact, I'm probably very far from it. However, even if I were, and there were naive periods in my past where I fancied I might have been, I'm certain I would not want the additional burden of having seen him. Unless the visitation carried with it additional strength needed to carry on, then I don't see how it would be but for my detriment. I'm not the single event type of guy; I need it pounded into me time after time. So unless he planned on visiting me weekly, a once in a lifetime visit would be more than I could handle.