cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I'm sure it is a poor reflection on me, but I wouldn't want to see the Lord. I'm in the group that would rather have the mountain placed on top of me so I could hide. I just don't think I would be comfortable in His presence. Maybe I'm wrong.
I might be with you. But I have to say, if I were suddenly called to be an apostle, I might feel a little better about it, if I had a pretty definitive testimony-strengthening event.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #22
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree, it is an interesting question. I think that based upon what they themselves have said one could justifiably reach the conclusion that they all have or none of them have.
From listening to them, it appears that individual ones have, but they don't know whether the other ones have or not. E. Scott said something to the extent of "I can't speak for the others."
Old 09-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sure, but they could all get matching tattoos and that would make them unlike other witnesses as well. I'm inferring that you think the answer to your question is yes. Why would holding keys, of itself, change the quality of witness they are? That was where I wasn't understanding you.
I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but here's my thoughts on the concept.

"Witness" isn't just a noun, it's also a verb. We've heard the talks before indicating the Greek meaning of term apostle is "one who is sent forth." Thus, the calling of an apostle is to go forth in the name of Jesus and "witness," or testify of his doctrine. The priesthood keys which he holds are emblematic of that "special" commission ... an assignment which no one else can claim or fill. Every member a missionary yes, but an apostle is laid with a particular charge and a responsibility that exceeds a "normal" witness.

That said, I re-emphasize that I have always accepted the meaning of "special witness" to mean a supernatural visitation.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #24
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, if they haven't even shared this with one another, that probably explains why most of us have no clue about it either.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
That said, I re-emphasize that I have always accepted the meaning of "special witness" to mean a supernatural visitation.
I don't understand this line of thought. The term "special" could mean a lot of different things here. Sounds like unfounded speculation.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #26
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but here's my thoughts on the concept.

"Witness" isn't just a noun, it's also a verb. We've heard the talks before indicating the Greek meaning of term apostle is "one who is sent forth." Thus, the calling of an apostle is to go forth in the name of Jesus and "witness," or testify of his doctrine. The priesthood keys which he holds are emblematic of that "special" commission ... an assignment which no one else can claim or fill. Every member a missionary yes, but an apostle is laid with a particular charge and a responsibility that exceeds a "normal" witness.

I see. You mean in the sense that one has a special obligation to be a witness. I can get on board with that. Still, as you say, I think the most obvious meaning (and really a condition precedent to the obligation we are talking about more than likely) is a heavenly visitation. This highlights the irony of being hush hush about it.

Its like me asking you what Indianapolis is like, and you declining to admit you have ever been.

Maybe it is what is being suggested in the thread. Some have, some haven't.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #27
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I was rebuked in a priesthood leadership training session for questioning someone who asserted that special witness = seeing Christ and that all the apostles had seen Christ. I wasn't being a jerk about it and they weren't really a jerk about it either, just made me out to look a little faithless in front of others. I felt vindicated when Pres. Hinckley basically said point blank he had never seen Jesus.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #28
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I felt vindicated when Pres. Hinckley basically said point blank he had never seen Jesus.

Link?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #29
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I don't understand this line of thought. The term "special" could mean a lot of different things here. Sounds like unfounded speculation.
I don't know about "unfounded," but it is certainly speculation. Which is why I said this:

Quote:
I'm just stabbing in the dark here ...
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #30
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Link?
The same reference others in this thread are making to GBH. It was recently. Possibly last conference?

You didn't think that's what he was saying? Or you don't remember the talk?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote