cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you address your in-laws?
As Mom and Dad 1 2.86%
By their first name 24 68.57%
As little as possible 6 17.14%
Other (please specify) 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #21
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was first married, they obviously preferred Mom and Dad so I avoided addressing them. It really felt uncomfortable. I eventually relaxed and began addressing them as Pops for FIL and Firstname for MIL. Now they're just grammy and grandpa.

My niece, the first grandchild on my family's side, made it easy for my wife. When she was around 18 months old, she started calling my dad "Bob." It's not his first name and nobody knows where it came from, but it stuck. Now everybody, even his kids, address him as Bob. My mom was quick to let my wife know that she doesn't care, so she uses my mom's first name.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #22
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

When I was first married, my in-laws didn't have a preference, and I thought it would feel strange calling them mom or dad, so I just call them by their first names.

What is really akward, though (at least for me), is when I address my wife grandparents. Calling them grandpa or grandma is just as strange as calling my in-laws mom or dad, and calling them by their first names seems disrespectful.

In the four or so years of marriage, my solution so far has been to avoid addressing them at all. I'll just say something like "hey, you..." (picture Jerry Seinfeld when he forgot his gf's name) or somesuch.

When I took the bar, I stayed with my wife's grandparents for three nights because they live about 2 miles from Bellevue. Looking back, my stay with them went pretty smoothly even though I never directly addressed them.
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #23
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
your not the only one... I call my parents by their first names or some nick-name like Goofle mcguilagudy for my dad or "toots" for my mom (when I want to piss her off)
Better watch out. Jan will kick your ass.

I call my father-in-law "Cochise." Mostly I got the name from the Beastie Boys' Sabotage video (although he's never seen it). Like most nicknames, it just seemed to work without trying too hard.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #24
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

If i were to call my parents by their first names my dad would slap me. I used to try and get away with it once in a while but he would always get pissed and correct me and make me repeat that it was "mom" or "dad".

My inlaws i dont really address, when i do i call them by their first names, my wife has 14 brothers and sisters and all but 1 of them is married, all the favorite ones call them Mom and dad. Maybe i need to switch up in order to up the inheritance.