cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #21
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what % of missionaries in the MTC have even read the BoM, or know the first thing about church history?
Exactly.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #22
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
If an investigator on my mission had told me about JS using the hat and the stone, I would have laughed out loud and told him it was anti-Mormon material and testified that he translated the BOM thru the U&T. I would have also reacted that way had they told me that JS took part in polygamy and polyandrous relations.

IMO they need to spend some time in the MTC teaching missionaries about that type of LDS history.
The same thought has crossed my mind, although reading the SCRIPTURES should be job one for some missionaries. I ran into this material on my mission as though it were a buzz saw (I served in SLC). I did my own "independent studies" on P-day, lived on spaghetti and generous meals with member families so I could spend money on books and articles, and had a trunk full of them (books and articles--not member families!) by the end.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-10-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
The same thought has crossed my mind, although reading the SCRIPTURES should be job one for some missionaries. I ran into this material on my mission as though it were a buzz saw (I served in SLC). I did my own "independent studies" on P-day, lived on spaghetti and generous meals with member families so I could spend money on books and articles, and had a trunk full of them by the end.
the church leaders don't want kids dealing with the meat while they are struggling with the milk. It's hard enough to keep them on missions as is. fill in every last detail of Mormon history and their heads will explode.

you'll never see a concerted effort to teach a Bushman-type history.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #24
Borderline Divine

Borderline Divine
Default Please forgive the new guy

I see the thread has moved a long way from the original post about Big Love, but the whole thread fascinates me and I can't help but respond.

First, I watch every minute of Big Love and find it fascinating. The writers are pretty close on quite a few things, and those things they miss I think are intentionally off the mark just for brevity's sake. An example is that while the main characters (the Hendrickson family, hubbie, three wives and about six kids) live in an upper middle class suburb in Sandy, they can always zip down to the "compound" in an hour or two and be back in time for supper. The compound is clearly Hilldale/Colorado City.

Roman Grant is the leader of the polg sect, and is clearly patterened after Uncle Rulon Jeffs. His son Albert (Albie) is easing into the role of Warren Jeffs. The first post in this thread mentioned a character named Martin Farris who witnessed Albie having a revelation which gave him control of the sect and its considerable finances.

This is really the first time that the writers have gotten close to lds history and it caught my attention. They may go there more, we will see.

Concerning the latter part of the thread, I was really surprised to read Scottie's post about his not being aware - while on a mission - that Joseph Smith had taken multiple wives. That kind of shocks me. The stone in the hat version of the translation being de-emphasized doesn't seem important to me, since it really doesn't change the cogent facts of the situation, any more than if Joseph had ridden a horse or ridden in a buggy to the place of translation.

Does the church just not mention Joseph's polygamy?

Lastly, I'm an unabashed troll over on Cougarboard, but vow not to be one here. This place just has a much different feel and I don't wish to take away anything from here but some knowledge.
Borderline Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #25
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the church leaders don't want kids dealing with the meat while they are struggling with the milk. It's hard enough to keep them on missions as is. fill in every last detail of Mormon history and their heads will explode.

you'll never see a concerted effort to teach a Bushman-type history.
I agree about missionaries.

I think these things could be taught in gospel doctrine, however. There are 48 lessons a year. If I start attending gospel doctrine at 18 and live to 79 (my life expectancy) at 45 mins per class I will have 2196 hours or approximately three staight months hours of gospel doctrine in my lifetime.

There is time.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I agree about missionaries.

I think these things could be taught in gospel doctrine, however. There are 48 lessons a year. If I start attending gospel doctrine at 18 and live to 79 (my life expectancy) at 45 mins per class I will have 2196 hours or approximately three staight months hours of gospel doctrine in my lifetime.

There is time.
Technically that's only 549 hours dedicated to church history and the D&C, or an hour per day for a year and a half. Call me old-fashioned, but somehow I don't think that's adequate coverage for a lifetime.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Gospel doctrine will likely always be dumbed down for least of those amongst us.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #28
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderline Divine View Post
Concerning the latter part of the thread, I was really surprised to read Scottie's post about his not being aware - while on a mission - that Joseph Smith had taken multiple wives. That kind of shocks me...
I'll be the first to say I lived a sheltered life pre-mission, but it was sheltered in a Mormon town and a Mormon lifestyle, so why didn't anyone ever tell me about JS being a polygamist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderline Divine View Post
Does the church just not mention Joseph's polygamy?
I've never heard the church mention it, and don't forget about the polyandry side of it. Someone here posted a poll a couple of months ago asking how old we were when we first learned about JS's polyandrous relations. I'll see if I can find it.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #29
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Technically that's only 549 hours dedicated to church history and the D&C, or an hour per day for a year and a half. Call me old-fashioned, but somehow I don't think that's adequate coverage for a lifetime.
I think I could become an expert on almost anything with an hour a day for a year and a half. Particulary when we're not talking about difficult concepts. Of course I'm smarter than you. :-)
Old 08-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #30
UtahDan

Quote:
Gospel doctrine will likely always be dumbed down for least of those amongst us.
Ergo, as soon as Mike gets wiser, the level of gospel doctrine will improve.