cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
I just bought the stuff to do this for my game time BBQ tomorrow. Can't wait. Thanks for the suggestion.
An anxious nation awaits your findings. Seriously, out of the mouths of two or three witnesses shall the menu for our Friday evening soiree be established, and Surfah's recipe sounds enticing. I await your review.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
An anxious nation awaits your findings. Seriously, out of the mouths of two or three witnesses shall the menu for our Friday evening soiree be established, and Surfah's recipe sounds enticing. I await your review.
We are doing this recipe for lunch today. I will post my findings in about 4 hours.

I am excited, though.

Besides Obama, nobody stirs the masses into a frenzy like Surfah.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Besides Obama, nobody stirs the masses into a frenzy like Surfah.
It's true. Style over substance.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I won't go into the detail that DDD went into, but it was good. I like the Luger's idea. I may try that next time instead of A1. I did pretty much exactly what the recipe Surfah suggested with two small additions. I added crushed roasted garlic that comes in the bottle at the grocery store and a little bit Italian spices ground in.

I only grill over coals, so I used hickory coals and let each side cook for about 8 minutes open and about 4 minutes closed. About 25 total minutes. Thick patties, so it takes a little longer to get it cooked all the way through.

The one thing that surprised me is that there was very little dripping. I thought it would be a lot of flare ups on the grill, but it didn't happen. Very juicy and great flavor burger. I also had I added two slices of sharp cheddar to each patty also. Garnished with fresh from my parents garden, tomatoes, onions and lettuce.

I will be doing this again soon. Very good burger.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
OverandOveragain

OverandOveragain is on a distinguished road

I LOOOVE In-N-Out.

I lived in California for two summers, and ate as many as I could.

Animal fries, wow
OverandOveragain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I mix a good ground Angus or sirloin and mild Italian sausage. Usually a pound and a half of beef to a pound of pork sausage. I usually crack an egg or two to bind and keep moist. I then usually add a liberal amount of salt, pepper and A1 sauce or Worcestershire (probably around 1/3 C). I make huge patties about an inch thick. Throw them on a hot clean grill. Sometimes I'll even brush the grill with oil or the meat to get nice grill marks. I usually add a nice melting cheese like provolone and white American. A nice thick cut bacon baked in the oven is a nice topper also.
My report: in short, a smashing success and very worthwhile. Adding the sausage to the beef makes all the difference. A did make a few tweaks:

I used ground sirloin and spicy Italian sausage. I kept the 1.5 pounds beef/1 pound sausage ratio. The yield was about 8 or 9 VERY large patties.

I used 2 eggs to bind.

Added salt, pepper, garlic salt into the mix. Hand pressed into patties, covered with plastic wrap, and let sit out to room temp for an hour or so before cooking.

I oven cooked thick cut bacon to use as a topper. About 18 minutes at 400 degrees was perfect.

I also pre-fried eggs to add (in the spirit of a King burger at Fatburger). Left some yolk uncooked.

Used spicy jack cheese as a topper.

Made the patties about an inch or so thick and about 6 inches wide....caution...instead of shrinking, these burgers balloon up and contain massive amounts of juice. Be careful when biting initially, esp just off the grill. You can seriously burn yourself.

As with all my grilling, cranked up the heat to high, get the BBQ nice and hot, then turn the flames all the way down low. Brush the patties with olive oil on both sides before placing on grill. Flipped every 4-5 minutes. After about 3 flips, it was cooked all the way through. Also, reapplied light coats of olive oil after each flip to keep burger moist.

With about 2 minutes to go, I placed a fresh-cut pineapple slice on top of the patty, let is start to cook (didnt grill them directly because I didnt want to lose any juice, although this could be a delicious add if grilled with brown sugar).

With about 1 or so minutes to go, I placed the fried egg on top of the pineapple slice, then covered the egg in a slice of cheese, let the cheese melt.

Upon removal from grill, top the cheese with bacon and present.

Garnish with grilled onions, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, grilled jalapenos, onion buns.

I did not add sauce to the beef mix. Instead, I added Peter Luger sauce as a condiment on my burger (no mustard or ketchup) and that was an amazing touch.

One side effect: burps an hour later....yikes!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My report: in short, a smashing success and very worthwhile. Adding the sausage to the beef makes all the difference. A did make a few tweaks:

I used ground sirloin and spicy Italian sausage. I kept the 1.5 pounds beef/1 pound sausage ratio. The yield was about 8 or 9 VERY large patties.

I used 2 eggs to bind.

Added salt, pepper, garlic salt into the mix. Hand pressed into patties, covered with plastic wrap, and let sit out to room temp for an hour or so before cooking.

I oven cooked thick cut bacon to use as a topper. About 18 minutes at 400 degrees was perfect.

I also pre-fried eggs to add (in the spirit of a King burger at Fatburger). Left some yolk uncooked.

Used spicy jack cheese as a topper.

Made the patties about an inch or so thick and about 6 inches wide....caution...instead of shrinking, these burgers balloon up and contain massive amounts of juice. Be careful when biting initially, esp just off the grill. You can seriously burn yourself.

As with all my grilling, cranked up the heat to high, get the BBQ nice and hot, then turn the flames all the way down low. Brush the patties with olive oil on both sides before placing on grill. Flipped every 4-5 minutes. After about 3 flips, it was cooked all the way through. Also, reapplied light coats of olive oil after each flip to keep burger moist.

With about 2 minutes to go, I placed a fresh-cut pineapple slice on top of the patty, let is start to cook (didnt grill them directly because I didnt want to lose any juice, although this could be a delicious add if grilled with brown sugar).

With about 1 or so minutes to go, I placed the fried egg on top of the pineapple slice, then covered the egg in a slice of cheese, let the cheese melt.

Upon removal from grill, top the cheese with bacon and present.

Garnish with grilled onions, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, grilled jalapenos, onion buns.

I did not add sauce to the beef mix. Instead, I added Peter Luger sauce as a condiment on my burger (no mustard or ketchup) and that was an amazing touch.

One side effect: burps an hour later....yikes!
Sounds great. I may have to try the spicier route sometime. I love pepper jack. Avocado would be great as a topper to cool the palate just as your pineapple would. Lots of variations to this. But like you said the beef and sausage mixture is the key. Glad you liked it.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
Sounds great. I may have to try the spicier route sometime. I love pepper jack. Avocado would be great as a topper to cool the palate just as your pineapple would. Lots of variations to this. But like you said the beef and sausage mixture is the key. Glad you liked it.
Made this with avocado and blue cheese last night. Good stuff. The mixture's a little sausage-heavy for my taste so I might cut that back a little next time, but good idea nonetheless.

Question for DDD/Surfah/whomever: Adding the egg is a new idea for me. Do you always do this? What kinds of other ideas for a good burger mix do you have? Say you don't have sausage on hand.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Since I moved here, In n Out has turned me into a fastfood snob. I can't tell you the last time I ate a burger from another fastfood joint. It just doesn't happen anymore.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:54 AM   #10
Jennerstein

Jennerstein

I miss In N Out. Back when I was able to eat beef, the perfect meal was ordering two "double meat protein animal style" burgers. Without the bun, you're able to taste all of the meaty goodness, and the extra lettuce makes everything more fresh.

Can't wait until I can eat cow again.
Jennerstein is offline   Reply With Quote