cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
D'oh! I was sitting here thinking, "okay, there are no Longhorns on the board, right? I've seen Trojans, Ducks, maybe a Husky or two, a couple of Hoyas. Even an Aggie. But nope, no Longhorns. Can't possibly offend anybody."

But darnit of course there's a Longhorn!

JL, I'll have to ask you sometime what you think of Mack's coaching. I hear some Longhorns say he shoulda been gone years ago and only VY saved his rear; but then I hear others talk about him like he's deity incarnate. Perhaps it's that way with all coaches, though.
Few teams do less with more than Texas. With the facilities, the atmosphere, the money, and the recruiting classes they get, they should be top-5 each year. Top-10 at the very least.

Most of my Longhorn buddies gripe about the chronic under-achievement. VY and the magical year notwithstanding.

I remember looking at Texas' recruiting class on the year that VY signed. It was the best class in the nation, by a mile. They had like 13 of the top 100 players in the nation. It was sick.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #22
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Few teams do less with more than Texas. With the facilities, the atmosphere, the money, and the recruiting classes they get, they should be top-5 each year. Top-10 at the very least.

Most of my Longhorn buddies gripe about the chronic under-achievement. VY and the magical year notwithstanding.
yeah, that's kind of my impression, but it turns out Longhorn fans don't take it too well when a Sooner asks about it, so it's hard for me to get much sense of how they really feel.

oh, well. at least you guys win your bowl games, unlike some teams I'm familiar with.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #23
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nobody's suggesting that he DID know. They're suggesting that he could have known. That Warren failed to guarantee he integrity of his forum, which is interesting, because Warren knew that there was some concern that this event was intrinsically unfair to Obama.

But if you re-watch the debate with this possibility in mind, that McCain was familiar with the material, I have to say there are a couple of things that make you wonder. In light of Y's comments about my growing conspiracy-tropic attitude, I won't mention any details.

I just like McCain's camp's response.

“The insinuation from the Obama campaign that John McCain, a former prisoner of war, cheated is outrageous,” Ms. Wallace said.
Well, the implication from Obama's people was clearly there - McCain couldn't have done as well as he did without cheating somehow. I don't really care, I just find it interesting how Andrea Mitchell throws it out there and David Gregory just let's it slide without any sort of challenge.

And yes, the POW response was absurd.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #24
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Well, the implication from Obama's people was clearly there - McCain couldn't have done as well as he did without cheating somehow.
I'm not sure what you mean by Obama's people? Obama's team has made no statement on the matter. But if you mean Obama's supporters, yes, that's certainly the implication.

I actually think the reason Obama's team is not mentioning this is in part because it draws more attention to the fact that Obama pretty much blew it. Nobody expected this to be a great event for him, but it was worse than anybody predicted.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #25
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by Obama's people?
Kenyan/Kansans. That's who I refer to when speaking of Obama's people.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #26
Venkman

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by Obama's people? Obama's team has made no statement on the matter. But if you mean Obama's supporters, yes, that's certainly the implication.

I actually think the reason Obama's team is not mentioning this is in part because it draws more attention to the fact that Obama pretty much blew it. Nobody expected this to be a great event for him, but it was worse than anybody predicted.
On Meet the Press, Andrea Mitchell referred to "the Obama people". And they were saying it "privately".
Old 08-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #27
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Kenyan/Kansans. That's who I refer to when speaking of Obama's people.
Kensans?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #28
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
On Meet the Press, Andrea Mitchell referred to "the Obama people". And they were saying it "privately".
Right. There's no way to know if that's true, since there's no official statement, but I'd sure hope they're smarter than that. Obama blew it. Regardless of how McCain did, Obama just plain blew it. Cut your losses and move on.

It's like if you can't stop the opposing team on fourth and seven, but you blame the loss on a blown call. All you do is bring attention to your ineffective defense, plus you sound like a sore loser.

If I were Obama I'd move up the VP announcement to tomorrow and steal back the headlines.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #29
Venkman

Quote:
Right. There's no way to know if that's true, since there's no official statement, but I'd sure hope they're smarter than that. Obama blew it. Regardless of how McCain did, Obama just plain blew it. Cut your losses and move on.

It's like if you can't stop the opposing team on fourth and seven, but you blame the loss on a blown call. All you do is bring attention to your ineffective defense, plus you sound like a sore loser.

If I were Obama I'd move up the VP announcement to tomorrow and steal back the headlines.
See that's what's great about you, always relating life back to sports. The ideal woman.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #30
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
See that's what's great about you, always relating life back to sports.
Gee thanks! Just trying to use metaphors we can all appreciate. It was actually a little tongue-in-cheek self-deprecating reference to my own beloved team.