cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #21
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
What about the O-line?
There will be a drop off in the o line but not a huge one. BYU has a ton of depth on the O Line. They will be very solid next year. Many of their 2's would be starters and almost all of the other teams in the Mtn. West.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #22
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
that is the best football post you have ever had
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
I didn't think you had it in you. I didn't think something reasonable about football was able to come from those fingers of yours.
The soft bigotry of low expectations.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #23
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I'm just enjoying the ride.

I doubt the state of Utah sees another season like this (both teams being undefeated) for a long time.

Course BYU will be even better next season with their best playmakers on offense and defense (sans David Nixon) returning. In my opinion I think 09' season is when BYU goes to a BCS game, but not this year.

Time will tell.
I endorse this post.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #24
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
This is obviously an uneducated post. No way is this defense in the middle or bottom of the conference. You must not watch very many games. Just a few quick numbers:

Total defense: 27th in the nation
Scoring defense: 7th in the nation
Rushing defense: 33rd in the nation
Pass efficiency defense: 27th in the nation

Also I dont think you understand that BYU plays 99% zone defense and that is why the corners play so far off the all. You could have Deion Sanders and Darrell Green back in their primes and they would be playing that far off the ball. The corners job is to play intermediate to deep zone coverage on that side of the field depending on what is called. It is the outside linebackers job to cover the flats. So all of those short passes are the outside linebackers responsiblity. The corner is only supposed to come up when he reads the play and knows for sure it is going to the receiver.

A little education for you, BYU has a bend but dont break defensive philosophy, Bronco has always been this way. He is fine giving up 4,6 or even 8 yard chunks of yardage but he wants to contain the big play. He feels like if he makes you take 9,10,11 plays to move the ball down the field that eventually you will make a mistake. So far this season he is correct.

BYU ranks 1st in fumbles forced, and 3rd in fumbles recovered. They are also 13th in turnover margin, 8th in redzone defense and 38th in first downs allowed. I dont care if you have played 6 games against Suck Dog State those are impressive numbers. Also take a look at the scoring drives against BYU this year:

UNI
7 plays 76 yards
0 plays (sack, and fumbled in the endzone)

UW
7-66
7-79
13-65
17-76

UCLA
N/A

Wyo
N/A

USU
7-80
7-63

On average that is 8.2 plays per drive in order to score. If a team takes that many plays to score I like our defenses chances of forcing a mistake or turnover. I do think that right now TCU and Utah have the two best defenses in the conference (in that order). But BYU is definitely 3rd and on the cusp of moving up.
I have seen every BYU game in the last 25 years (at least). Those stats are worthless. They have been accumulated against some of the worst teams in the nation. The defense doesn't pass the eyeball test. What I see are wide open receivers. In regards to the corners- If the coaches had any confidence in their ability they wouldn't play that stupid zone on a third and two. If they had any talent at all, they would play man press and make the opposing team make a great throw and catch. Not concede an eight yard curl or a slant. The linebackers can't get out there quickly enough to stop that play. Zone defenses are a protection for shitty corners. Bend but don't break is effective against inaccurate QB's that can't deliver the ball. If BYU played a decent QB, they would score 50+ points. And do it easily. Missouri would probably score a TD on every possession. Georgia and Texas, too. Luckily for us, there aren't any good quarterbacks left on the schedule.

Oh by the way, you must be an idiot if you think that Bronco has always been a bend but don't break guy. When Crowton was Head Coach, he blitzed every down and left his corners on an island. Now that Bronco is Head Coach, he has gone to a defense that better fits his untalented corners.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Blue Hair are you ignoring the key point junkie made, namely, the defense is designed to allow the short hits and make the team grind it out?

I agree if we had better athletes, we might play some man-to-man coverage to allow some monster pass defense. To wit, the Kentucky defense against Alabama which could barely complete a pass despite being at home and ranked as the number two team.

The stats show some efficiency but they would be more meaningful against tougher competition. We'll see how they fair against TCU and Utah.

Simply having open receivers is a function of zone coverage, as opposed to man coverage. You'll always see open receivers in teams using zone, that's why good QBs split the zone. Man coverage requires perfect timing and no floating passes.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #26
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have seen every BYU game in the last 25 years (at least). Those stats are worthless. They have been accumulated against some of the worst teams in the nation. The defense doesn't pass the eyeball test. What I see are wide open receivers. In regards to the corners- If the coaches had any confidence in their ability they wouldn't play that stupid zone on a third and two. If they had any talent at all, they would play man press and make the opposing team make a great throw and catch. Not concede an eight yard curl or a slant. The linebackers can't get out there quickly enough to stop that play. Zone defenses are a protection for shitty corners. Bend but don't break is effective against inaccurate QB's that can't deliver the ball. If BYU played a decent QB, they would score 50+ points. And do it easily. Missouri would probably score a TD on every possession. Georgia and Texas, too. Luckily for us, there aren't any good quarterbacks left on the schedule.

Oh by the way, you must be an idiot if you think that Bronco has always been a bend but don't break guy. When Crowton was Head Coach, he blitzed every down and left his corners on an island. Now that Bronco is Head Coach, he has gone to a defense that better fits his untalented corners.
First of all you havent seen every game for the past 25 years, nice exaggeration.

Secondly, we dont have the best corners so we have to play a scheme that works for us. If you have seen every game for the past 25 years you would realize that we rarely get great corners.

Third you said we were bottom of the conference in defense, nobody has played any good teams besides maybe Utah. So the fact is with similar type schedules we still have a top 3 defense in the conference. So I suggest that you stick to what you know best and that is trolling the religion section.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #27
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I have seen every BYU game in the last 25 years (at least).
Oh brother.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 AM   #28
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Secondly, we dont have the best corners so we have to play a scheme that works for us.
Go back and read my original post. Actually, maybe you should read it a couple of times since your reading comprehension seems to be lacking. I said the coaches make the corners give a 14 yard cushion because they have no confidence in them. So thanks for making my point for me. If the coaches had confidence, they wouldn't call for that zone in that situation. First and ten I'm okay with. Third and two? That's just sad.

If offering a differing opinion in the religious section makes me a troll, so be it. I've never offered an opinion in that section that I didn't truly believe.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #29
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Can your team beat Oklahoma? Texas? boise st?
Right now I think

We beat Boise State have and probably lose to Texas and Oklahoma. Although I think we would have a shot against Texas and no shot against Oklahoma. Then again you know what they say...When you are living right magic happens.

Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #30
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Right now I think

We beat Boise State have and probably lose to Texas and Oklahoma. Although I think we would have a shot against Texas and no shot against Oklahoma. Then again you know what they say...When you are living right magic happens.

I endorse this post.