cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Here's something I've wondered without ever seeing something written about (and I didn't see it listed here either):

Why did Jesus ask his disciples three times to watch with him as he went through the agony of Gethsemane? Apparently they failed to do so. If they did sleep through it, how do we have the account of what happened there?
Indy, are you asking why Jesus' asked them to watch or why 3 times (does the number have special significance, etc, etc?)?

Why watch?

I can think of couple of possibilities:
  1. Jesus is asking the disciples for strength. This is a very difficult time for the Savior, and maybe the strength provided "his community" watching him would actually help Jesus a great deal.

2. Maybe, it is important for the disciples to see or experience the events of the garden. It will strengthen them or help keep them from "temptation." Note shortly there after every disciple (well, not the women) betray Jesus: Judas explicitly, the rest forsake and flee, and Peter through denial.

Why three times?

Three is an important number. It is very important to Matthew (notice that Luke doesn't preserve a triadic structure to the account). You can also argue that three is an important numbers for Mormon theological when it comes to prayer (Although you would have a hard time convincing me that it part of the original context of the event.) I believe it also shows up as an important number in Jewish tradition and underscores sincerity and dedication.

Where does the account come from?

Don't know. Although, I think it is worth pointing out that the garden pericopes really say nothing about Jesus suffering for the sins of the world. Maybe the falling asleep of the disciples has something to do with the lack of detail and explicitness in these pericopes.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote