cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

I like my brother's story about being saved. He was a spanish speaking missionary in east LA but would frequently run into evangelical missionaries who would ask him if he had been saved and share a little card with him that they believed would save him if he would read and sign it.

After a few of these encounters he finally read it and decided it would be no big deal to sign it. So after than he just kept it in his pocket and if he got apporached with the question of whether he had been saved he would just pull out the card and show them. They never really knew what to say to him. Always thought that was funny.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Yeah, I was asked once by an evangelical what I would do when I got to heaven and learned Joseph Smith was a false prophet. So I countered with the question asking what he would do when he got to heaven learned Joseph Smith was a true prophet. He said he was willing to die in his ways. And I said so am I and that was that.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #13
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
It's pretty simple. The Church claims to be the only true church upon the face of the earth and the only Church with a direct pipeline to God. You honestly don't see how that might piss off religious people who aren't mormon?
That's a blatant mischaracterization of our faith ... come on sequitur, don't dwell in half truths.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #14
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
That's a blatant mischaracterization of our faith ... come on sequitur, don't dwell in half truths.
How is it a mischaracterization? I was always taught growing up that the mormon church was the only true church and was the only church that was authorized by God to perform ordinances in His name. Has that changed?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's pretty simple. The Church claims to be the only true church upon the face of the earth and the only Church with a direct pipeline to God. You honestly don't see how that might piss off religious people who aren't mormon?
No, look at Islam's claims. Those claims don't piss me off, even though I would never consider them legitimate. It's marketing debates.

If Microsoft gets told by firefox that its stuff is crap, sometimes Microsoft gets angry and tries to crush firefox. So a turf war erupts.

I imagine people don't like things that are different and some people are total jackasses. I call it the jackass theory. In every group of people and animals, some are designated to be jackasses about one or several issues, and very few are determined to be jackasses on all issues.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Exactly. Evangelicals like Aaron claim I am going to hell because of my beliefs. I just roll my eyes and say, "whatever." Like they know.
When I was less polite than I currently am, I may have stated a time or two, "well, why the hell don't you join me down here in hell, as it's sure a fun place to be."
Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #17
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I think that is a pretty minor factor. If so, that is even more pathetic. Move to Utah and dedicate your life to attacking Mormonism because you are pissed off about one of their beliefs? Wow.
I don't think it's a minor factor. What is the most common criticism you hear non-mormons in Utah say about mormons? It's that mormons are arrogant. Why is it that people think mormons are so arrogant?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
I don't think it's a minor factor. What is the most common criticism you hear non-mormons in Utah say about mormons? It's that mormons are arrogant. Why is it that people think mormons are so arrogant?
Because they have nothing better to say or to do to explain their Utah failures?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't true. Or that we don't come across as arrogant sometimes. I am just saying that I have a tough time believing that this is the primary driver of the anti-mormon movement. Not by a long shot.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Many of these people are angry because they've been shunned, or worse, ostracised by friends and family. It's one of Mormonism's most potent survival mechansims--the purging of apostates. It's done out of fear, revulsion, and maybe mostly to protect the youngsters by a) reinforcing the consequence of apostacy (a ritualistic bloodletting), and b) trying to insulate them from the apostate's perspective. This rejection by clan causes a deep wound in the apostate that he tries to address by trying to destroy the clan. I understand somebody (I think a couple of ex-Mormon brothers) wrote a book on this called "Suddenly Strangers." The rage you see on the exmo site is really cries of agony for their parents' and friends' cold blooded rejection.

You've seen this scenario actually unfold here on this site between the infamous Robin and MikeWaters. (I miss their repartee; I've never laughed out loud so much reviewing Internet threads; still, I felt somewhat guilty laughing at Robin's pain.)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote