cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It sounded a little suspect to me, for the reasons you all have enumerated, but hey, if its on a contributor-based encyclopedia, it must be true!

Regardless of the grain storage issue, there is the issue of groceries. If transportation were to break down, there would be less than 2 weeks of food at your neighborhood grocery.
The supply at your local grocery store is indeed a short-term supply. One of my low-wage jobs before I became rich, good-looking, and famous (and don't forget that I have a smokin' hot wife too) was working as a stocker in a grocery store. The delivery truck from the central warehouse comes anywhere from 5 to 7 days a week. Grocery stores have very little supply in the back beyond what you see on the shelves. Thus the usual panic in places like Florida a Battle Royale occurs over the last can of dog food sitting on the shelf before the hurricane comes.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #12
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I wonder how much of that grain is used for the preparation of alcohol.

Food storage has never been my gospel hobby. I've seen a few folks who take it to another level when it comes to this stuff. My food storage consists of a pantry full of shiny cans with pastel labels from the church cannery, a deep freezer full of frozen food from Costco, a few boxes of Slim Jims, and about 20 cases of Coke Zero. I'm not sure what's in the cans from church, but I'm not sure starvation would be a bad option if I had to live off of them.
Dude, those Slim Jims could sure come in handy. They would be a mighty fine supplement to the 600 pounds of rice sitting in my basement. I wonder what the shelf life of a Slim Jim is?

An additional benefit of having Slim Jims in your year supply is that you would be inspired to go "Macho Man Randy Savage" on anyone that tried to take your supply away from you.

BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote