cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 02:34 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean there aren't temple Jew police? People looking over rolls for Jewish sounding names? Regular announcements in the ward bulletin to avoid submitting Jews, with the stern words "Jews are verboten."

It's shocking, really.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:55 AM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You mean there aren't temple Jew police? People looking over rolls for Jewish sounding names? Regular announcements in the ward bulletin to avoid submitting Jews, with the stern words "Jews are verboten."

It's shocking, really.
Actually, there is an ex-mo lady in SLC that spends countless hours in the geneology library poring over church records and looking for Jews that slip through the cracks. About a year ago, she found a list of Jews that made it through somehow and promptly reported it to the Anti-Defamation League. The church quickly apologized and promised to be more careful.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:14 AM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

It's an interesting dynamic. As you well know, there is a subset of the Jewish community that thrives on victimhood. This is just another manifestation of that phenomenon. It seems like an odd thing to get worked up about, but it is too politically sensitive for the church to tell the Jews to simply "get over it". The halocaust changed all the rules. If the Catholic church were to make a fuss about this, the church would probably make a stand. Majority religion vs. minority religion.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:18 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It's an interesting dynamic. As you well know, there is a subset of the Jewish community that thrives on victimhood. This is just another manifestation of that phenomenon. It seems like an odd thing to get worked up about, but it is too politically sensitive for the church to tell the Jews to simply "get over it". The halocaust changed all the rules. If the Catholic church were to make a fuss about this, the church would probably make a stand. Majority religion vs. minority religion.
Are they opposed to this because the LDS Church was digging up rolls of holocaust victims? Since I did not have all my immediate family or even all my aunts and uncles and grandparents liquidated by Nazis, I'm sure that there are things to them that are sacred or profane that I cannot begin to fathom. I'm not in a position to judge.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:25 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe Jews rejecting ordinances for their dead was prophesied?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:21 AM   #16
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

I think the reasons the Jews don't want their relatives baptized are irrelevant. The Church should just keep their word and not baptize them. They shouldn't have made a promise they didn't intend to keep. Why God's "inspired" leaders couldn't come up with an effective plan to honor their agreement is beyond me.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:36 AM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Are they opposed to this because the LDS Church was digging up rolls of holocaust victims?
Yes, I think that was the original concern. But if I recall correctly, the agreement extended to all Jews.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:39 AM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I think the reasons the Jews don't want their relatives baptized are irrelevant. The Church should just keep their word and not baptize them.
Yes, and that is clearly the intent of the church, based on their public statements.

On the other hand, if a vocal and passionate minority within each religion protests the practice, should the church abandon it altogether? Where do you draw the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Why God's "inspired" leaders couldn't come up with an effective plan to honor their agreement is beyond me.
That's a cheap shot. You think they should just sprinkle some holy water and the problem is solved? We don't even have the database for our own ancestors' records fully automated.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:55 AM   #19
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yes, and that is clearly the intent of the church, based on their public statements.

On the other hand, if a vocal and passionate minority within each religion protests the practice, should the church abandon it altogether? Where do you draw the line?

That's a cheap shot. You think they should just sprinkle some holy water and the problem is solved? We don't even have the database for our own ancestors' records fully automated.
I don't think they have to abandon it. Just be honest and say, "We respect your concerns. However, we feel this is our duty. If your ancestors don't accept it, it's as if it never happened." Basically a polite way to say we're going to do it anyway.

If Holy water would help, I'm all for it. We claim to have revelation. Let's act on it. Maybe GBH could hop on the phone with God (or however revelation works) and get an answer straight from him. If that's not possible, they need to create workable solution no matter how cumbersome it is. We do baptismal interviews for converts. Perhaps we need an interview for those submitting names. I don't know what the answer is. Then again, I'm not the one that made the promise.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 12-19-2006 at 01:34 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:57 AM   #20
BlueHair

Sorry. That last post is really messy. Apparently, I don't know how to use the quote button!