cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Honest people can disagree over the interpretation of the Constitution. But whatever else last week's ruling was, it was not judicial activism.
If it isn't in the Constitution, and the Court found that it was, isn't that exactly the definition of judicial activism you have offered in the past?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
so all of these interpretations would hold that a newspaper owned by a corporation does not have first amendment rights?

What if the corporation is only owned by one person and has only one employee (the owner)?

These interpretations would hold that individuals have free speech, but groups of people do not? Or only groups designated as corporations? If such a designation, why?

I have a hard time buying that groups of people don't have free speech rights.
Perhaps. They could hold that media corporations should but not other corporations. Or they could hold that the individuals who publish for a newspaper have First Amendment rights which are protected and therefore there isn't a need to protect the "newspaper" itself. Protection of the individual who works for the newspaper is sufficient.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Perhaps. They could hold that media corporations should but not other corporations. Or they could hold that the individuals who publish for a newspaper have First Amendment rights which are protected and therefore there isn't a need to protect the "newspaper" itself. Protection of the individual who works for the newspaper is sufficient.
Could you imagine a newspaper not being able to protect itself in civil suits by being able to say that they have free speech rights?

It makes no sense that two individuals each have free speech, but when they speak together, they do not.

Yet, essentially that is the liberal argument.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Quote:
Could you imagine a newspaper not being able to protect itself in civil suits by being able to say that they have free speech rights?

It makes no sense that two individuals each have free speech, but when they speak together, they do not.

Yet, essentially that is the liberal argument.
No, that is the originalist argument.

Whether a newspaper can defend itself in a civil suit has nothing to do with whether it has First Amendment rights or whether for the purposes of the Constitution it is a person. It can be a "person" by statute and not for purposes of the Constitution.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

that's what the liberal on NPR said. Media companies only have free speech rights as long as Congress designates it so. They are not protected by the Bill of Rights.

In his view, if Congress wanted to prohibit the NRA from any kind of speech, it would be within Congress's purview. He didn't say this specifically, but it certainly is implied by his argument.

Screw that.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I was listening to the Diane Rhem show, and again there was a democrat who was on his soapbox asking where all the conservative pundits are condemning the campaign finance decision as judicial activism. He said that the court, and all conservatives who don't condemn it are hypocrites.

I said "ok, let me hear the argument." There was none. That was where the argument ended.

It surprises me that so many intelligent, educated people gravitate to this kind of thinking. Liberalism. It's such weak sauce, it's like soaking your steak in bath water.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I was listening to the Diane Rhem show, and again there was a democrat who was on his soapbox asking where all the conservative pundits are condemning the campaign finance decision as judicial activism. He said that the court, and all conservatives who don't condemn it are hypocrites.

I said "ok, let me hear the argument." There was none. That was where the argument ended.

It surprises me that so many intelligent, educated people gravitate to this kind of thinking. Liberalism. It's such weak sauce, it's like soaking your steak in bath water.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #18
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Liberals think the definition of judicial activism is "overturning our favorite precedents." They even coined a new term for it during the Roberts hearing: "super-precedent." What the heck is a "super" precedent?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote